Chapter 4; What the Hell

Yeah. What the hell. I passed out again. No the better word would be fainted. As I open my eyes groggily, I'm pretty sure that the last events only occurred in my head, but who knows.

I look up to see my aunt staring back at me. Her hands are on her hips as she continues to glare. "Tell me..." 

"Nope. That was an actual person. And you need to leave." She responds before I have a chance to finish my sentence.

"Ok.... So. I'm actually in this weird fantasy hell, and you're like, an actual farie?" I ask. I'm too tired to try and fight it. Accepting it would be easier. 

"Yes. And you need to leave, but you can't go back to the normal world for at least another 3 months."

I groaned into my pillow.  I'm still on the couch that is literally more comfortable than my bed. I'm tempted to go to sleep and just not wake up, but I don't think that this obnoxious lady would let me. I remember that she is only like 7 years older than me, but nonetheless. 

"Get up." She demands. 

"Why, if I'm stuck here for another 3 months? May as well be unconscious as much as possible."

She glares at me again. She seems to like that. Glaring.

"There are circumstances you don't understand that require you to get off of your ass and move." That's when I realize that the green giant is still at the door. He must be at least 7 feet tall. I don't know what it is about him, but he terrifies me. His broad shoulders and big hands seem like they could squish any human that dared try to question him. I vaguely remember my aunt calling him James. 

"So... what's the giant still doing here?" I ask, unable to contain my curiosity. She rolls her eyes and goes to stand by him. 

"James here," she says patting his chest mockingly. Seems like a bad idea considering he's twice her size. "Is gonna take you somewhere safe." It's my turn to glare at her. I don't know where the hell she got this attitude but I'm having my life change before my eyes and don't need the sass. 

"Okay, but why should I trust him to take me somewhere safe. For one he's green," He seemed slightly offended at that. Noted, don't mention people's color. "Second, I don't know him and when he came in here he burst the door down like the hulk and you seemed mildly terrified."

She sighs as she explains, "James is a good... ish person, and as much as I would love to keep you here, I don't have the means to take care of you Maddy." She walks across the room to her kitchen and pours herself a glass of water. "Maddy, I know that this is all new, but you need to catch on quick or else this world will not be kind to you." 

James must finally decide he's tired of sitting in the corner and excluded from the conversation because he walks over to the chair sitting opposite of me and sits down. I'm not prepared for how deep and gravely his voice is as he says, "Maddison, quite frankly I don't give a shit if this is new." My mouth falls open. Who is this asshat. "Aileava is a dangerous place, and it's my job to take care of you and make sure you're safe." he finishes. 

"And why is that when I'm literally just some nobody from the normal world?" I ask. 

"Because your father saved my life, and I owe it to him to watch over you."

I let out a deep sigh. These people have no sense of when to be polite or not. I don't even care at this point though. 

"Okay. What the hell. It's not like I know anyone here anyway, what's one creepy farie over another." I state standing up. "Also I literally own nothing, so whenever you're ready just kidnap me." I finish. 

He lets out a chuckle at that and stands up. He moves towards the door and motions for me to join him. So I do. We walk outside where I find 2 white and gray horses waiting. They're beautiful and as I gaze at them in admiration, I feel James' eyes on me. I look over to meet them and he doesn't look away. His eyes are a earthy brown, but just like everyone else hear, they have an odd glowing look to them. 

I look away before he can yell at me to get a move on. He hops on his horse and motions for me to do the same, but I haven't ridden a horse before so I just stand there awkwardly. He sighs and gets off of his horse before picking me up and practically throwing me on my horse. "Asshat," I mutter under my breath. He gives me a look before hopping on his own horse. 

We trek for 3 days in pretty much complete and utter silence. Mostly because I'm too busy trying to absorb everything around me. The flowers are the most radiant shades I've ever seen, some being the entire rainbow. There was a sort of cactus I saw along the way, but instead of having the poky things, it had these odd pink swirls. As we ride I try to let my mind wander, there's no reason to cage my mind, the only thing I seem to try to not think about is Kase. That brings up too many questions.

As we begin to pass through a large valley, James pulls to a stop and turns his horse around to look at me. A dark look passes over his face along with a realization of sorts. 

"Maddy... Who brought you here?" I scoff. Of course he didn't think about that until after we've been traveling for three days. 

"What difference does it make anyways?" I ask. "I'm stuck here, and I can't get home anytime soon."

That dark look overtakes his face and I can't help but shiver when he says, "Maddy, there are people and things here more dangerous than anything you might've encountered in your world. I know you don't quite have a grasp on that yet, but I need to know."

I shrug. "His name is Kase, he is my best friend's older brother, we grew up together and he hates me," I answer rolling my eyes. Even though I rolled my eyes, something in this guys tone scared me. 

"Kase..." he started. He thinks about it for a minute, "Montez?" As he says Kase's last name I realize that James knows Kase, and the fear in James' face when I nod scares me. And all of the questions that I had blocked out of my mind suddenly decided to reappear. 

I nodded slowly, still working through the unanswered questions when James turns his horse around and starts running away. Literally as fast as he can. 

What the hell.