Chapter 5; The Demon

I start chasing after James. I don't really give a shit about the guy, but I have no clue what I'm doing here, and even though I don't know him, the guy hasn't done anything to make me scared of him after 3 straight days. And maybe I also wanted to know more about Kase. 

James didn't get very far. Mostly because he's very big, and his horse can't run very fast with his weight on it. I find a cliffy area and corner him. 

"James! What the hell! You can't just leave me like that, as you've said yourself, I have no f****** clue what I'm doing here, and don't you have some weird bro pact with my dad making it so that you can't leave me alone? I swear if you weren't seven foot one I would stab-" 

"Maddy shut up." He snaps while getting off of his horse and sitting against a rock. He puts his head in his hands. "I know I made an oath to your father. I know I can't leave you alone, I know all of this. I just.... I don't know what the best course of action would be right now."

Now that confuses me. "Why did you run away then?" I ask. I shrug off of my horse. I swear those fudging saddles are going to be the death of my thighs. 

"Because.." he starts. He seems to zone out a little, focusing on something behind me. "The demon knows who you are, and I can't have him coming after me." That's what weirds me out. Who the hell is the Demon? I'm not one to hold in my questions so I ask him. 

"Who the f*** is the demon?" He takes a deep breath, preparing himself for the conversation doomed to follow. 

"Kase Montez," he answers. Before I can ask more questions, he continues on. "I know that you grew up with him and all, but he is dangerous. I'm uncomfortable stating his name, so from now on, he is the demon, ok?" I nod and he continues, "The Demon made his appearance around 6 years ago. I don't know the specifics, but he showed up and essentially, he became well known... For killing a child." He takes a deep breath to calm himself. "Law enforcement never got involved because there 'wasn't enough evidence'. He killed the kid in a public square with a knife. There were so many witnesses. I knew the kid. He didn't deserve it." James paused to blink the tears out of his eyes. Once he was good, he finished off. "The Demon is a terrible person, and I don't think he should be allowed to walk the earth the way he does. He has been linked to many murders and kidnappings ever since. Some victims found in very bad condition." He shakes his head. "Maddy, I don't know what your relationship with him was before this, but whatever it was, it needs to end now." 

I freeze in shock. I have known Kase my entire life, and not once has he come off as threatening, let alone a murderer! I shake my head. He must have the wrong Kase. Kase might hate me and everything I stand for, but he is a part of my childhood, and that's something I'll defend till my dying days. "James, I don't know if you know this, but multiple people can have the same name. Kase, as in my best friend's brother Kase, is a good person. To be fair he hates me, but he would never hurt me or someone who didn't deserve it. You're thinking he's someone else."

He gives me a tired look. "Maddison. I know that this is another world than what you're used to, but here people don't have the same name. If they do, we have...  certain customs to change that. So, any Kase that enters this realm must be the Demon because if not, they would be dead already." He states. I pale. I may not know much about this place, but every fiber of my body told me he was right. I don't want to believe it. I don't. But... It has been a long time since I've seen Kase, and he did drag me to this world without my consent or knowledge. 

I decide that I don't need to know anything for sure right now. If Kase really is evil, it's going to make it hard for me to trust people, and I know that before I allow myself to try and think otherwise, but on the chance he isn't, I'm not going to damn him. He is my best friends brother. 

"Okay. I won't talk to him. Can we leave now?" I ask while brushing the dirt off of my pants. The high grasses surrounding the secluded cliffs were filled with bugs, and I was not in any rush to learn what these other realm bugs were capable of. 

James stands up with me. He nods and hops on his horse while I do the same. 

"So... I know this could be a touchy subject, but I need to know if I'm to guide you any longer," he begins. I nod for him to go on, slightly curious to see what this is about. "Did-did you and Kase get.. " He took a deep breath. He was acting like this was the most painful thing he's ever had to do. 

"Did me and Kase what?" I ask, trying to get him to get over himself. 

"Did youandkaseeverhappentomaybejustlikemaybehavesexorsomethinglikethat?"He shoves out. I look at him for a minute. Then I burst out laughing. My head falls back and I lose my balance almost falling off of my horse. James is blushing a deep shade of brown(apparently that's the color green people blush) and it only makes me laugh more. My lungs start to constrict, my brown hair starting to fall out of my ponytail. I gasp trying to refill the lungs that seemed to die a little. 

"It's not that funny," he mumbles angrily. I manage to compose myself before shaking my head at him. 

"No Kase and I never got romantically involved. He's never liked me, and these last couple of years, it's turned into pure hatred." I answer still giggling a little. 

He nods his acknowledgement. "Now if you don't mind, Maddison, I would prefer to never mention this conversation again."

That restarts the giggles, and this time I do fall off of my horse.