Chapter 4: Hard Feelings

After having given the information needed for a expedition, considering that she did owe the librarian her life, Bonnie O'Connell was given twenty pounds to get herself cleaned up and packed.  She was supposed to meet the two Carnahan men at the Giza Port the next morning.  Luckily, the woman traveled light.  She also had caches of supplies hidden around the city.  Clothes, guns, food, the works.  Essentials for a wandering deserter like herself.

Dressed in a man's suit and carrying one large bag over her shoulder, Bonnie readjusted the braid over her shoulder and headed out of the hotel towards the Giza Port.  Many things were going through her mind.  Going back to Hamunaptra didn't feel great but she had to pay off her debt somehow.  Once she got to the port, her piercing green eyes scanned the area, looking for her employers.  Bonnie eventually spotted the two walking towards the boat and she began trekking after them hearing the butt end of their conversation.

"...complete savage, I don't like her one bit," she heard William say.

Bonnie's eye twitched for a moment before speaking up.  "Anyone I know?" she asked loud enough for the men to hear her and turn around.

The men gaped at her, William moreso than Jonathan.  The younger of the two looked a little mortified.  Bonnie figured she'd been the subject of the conversation and raised her eyebrows, waiting for them to speak.

"Oh," William said before putting his and Jonathan's suitcases on the ground.  "Um...hello."

Jonathan chuckled and pat Bonnie on the jacket.  "Smashing day for the start of an adventure, eh, O'Connell?" he said, shaking Bonnie's hand.

"Yeah," Bonnie replied suspiciously, checking her suit pocket.  "Yeah, smashing."

"Oh, no, no, I'd never steal from a partner...partner."

Bonnie chuckled, vaguely aware that William had not taken his eyes off her.  "That reminds me," Bonnie said, pivoting her hip and regripping the strap of her bag.  "No hard feelings about the, uh..." she paused while showing her fist with her free hand.

Jonathan waved her off.  "Oh, no, no.  Happens all the time."

"Why does that not surprise me?" Bonnie thought to herself.

"Miss O'Connell," William started.  "Can you look me in the eye and guarantee me that this isn't all some kind of a flimflam?  Because if it is, I am warning you-"

Bonnie scoffed in amusement, clicking her tongue as she studied the bookish but strangely attractive man.  "You're warning me?  Ha!  Mister, let me put it this way: My whole damn garrison believed in this so much that without orders, they marched halfway across Libya and into Egypt to find that city.  And when we got there, all we found was sand and blood."

Bonnie noticed the look of slight fear on Jonathan's face, but William seemed even more intrigued than anything.  That was something to note.  Perhaps the bookworm was a bit braver than she originally thought.

"Would you like me to carry your bag?" William asked her and she blinked.

Bonnie eyed the suitcases on the ground.  "I think you already have your hands full, actually.  Thanks, though,' she replied before walking onto the gangway.

She glanced over her shoulder, eyeing William who was cocking his head while gazing at her.  That was new.  Most men were disgusted by her attire and demeanor, save for a few rare and understanding gentlemen.  Those men were soldiers or mercenaries she met along her travels.  Jonathan seemed rather casual about the whole thing but William seemed...almost curious about her.

"Nah, just my imagination," she thought, looking back towards the boat.

Once she found her room, Bonnie settled her bag in the corner, not even bothering to unpack.  She just wanted a hot meal and a beer, honestly.  The ex-soldier considered changing into something a little more feminine but then wondered where the hell that thought came from and decided against it.  Bonnie checked her guns and left the room, then locked the door before heading down to the cafeteria part of the boat.

Bonnie practically inhaled her breakfast, barely noticing the stares and chuckles from the other guests.  However, when Jonathan and William came into the room, her eyes settled on the younger brother immediately. 

She didn't like him at all and she could tell he wasn't too fond of her, either.  After all, he had referred to her as a complete savage.  Which she was.  Bonnie continued gulping down her food as the brothers sat down with her.  Jonathan chuckled and ordered some tea to be brought, watching the woman greedily eat her food.

"You're eating everything but the tablecloth, O'Connell," Jonathan remarked in amusement.

Bonnie shrugged.  "We won't be eating good like this in the desert, pal.  Trust me."

William seemed to barely register Bonnie as he ordered some breakfast with Jonathan, and then the warden, having learned of his name to be Gad Hassad, sat down at their table and ordered his own breakfast.  He, too, was not immune to the ghastly way that O'Connell was eating her food.

"Are you even tasting the food?" Gad asked with a laugh.

Bonnie quickly slipped out a knife and aimed it in Gad's direction, making others on the boat stop what they were doing.  "You wanna taste blood, Mr. Hassad?" she asked bitterly.  "It won't matter how fast you're gulping it down, you'll still taste it."

Gad smiled nervously with his hands up.  "Please, miss.  There should be no hard feelings between us."

Bonnie grumbled a little, glaring at the man.  "Fine.  Just know if you ever need a necktie, Hassad, I'll have one handy."  After sheathing her knife, Bonnie went back to eating.

This earned a scolding look from William but the woman ignored it.  Jonathan cleared his throat and leaned in.  "So...how did you join up with the FFL?" he asked.

Bonnie paused, the spoon hanging in her mouth as she looked at Jonathan with a surprised expression.  The other two men leaned in to listen, although William was more subtle about it.

Bonnie pulled the spoon from her lips, moving the food around in her mouth as she chewed.  "In all honesty, I don't really remember.  I was drunk in a bar, some French Legionnaires saw me fight, they had me enlisted the next day.  Said it would be a "tactical advantage" that the enemy expect little of their opponent, especially if the opponent was of the fairer sex," she said, practically spitting out the last two words.

"Did it work?" William asked.

"What do you think?" she asked nonchalantly before finishing off her food.  She quickly excused herself and exited the eating area.