Chapter 10: Backgrounds

Bonnie had to hand it to the librarian, he was clever.  Very clever.

Not only had they found a chamber underneath Anubis' legs, William had an idea to get the book out from underneath the other Americans.  William, Jonathan and Bonnie found boxes to stand on and got to chopping away at the ceiling while Hassad watched, looking extremely bored.

"According to these hieroglyphics, we're underneath the statues," William said as he hammered away at the ceiling.  "We should come up right between his legs."

"And when those damn Yanks go to sleep...no offense," Jonathan started.

"None taken," Bonnie replied with a grunt, still hammering into the ceiling.

"...we'll dig our way up and steal that book right out front under them."

"Are you sure we can find this secret compartment thing?" Bonnie asked as the three of them continued scraping and chopping away.

"Oh yes, if those gun happy Americans haven't beat us to it," William replied, then he looked at Bonnie.  "No offense."

Bonnie chuckled, yanking on the hammer.  "None taken," she answered.

Jonathan looked around the room suddenly.  "Hey, where'd our smelly little friend get to?" he asked out loud.

Bonnie gazed around, not seeing Hassad and shrugged before going back to chipping away, pieces of the ceiling falling along with sand.  "Who cares?  I don't."

"Why not?"

Bonnie gave Jonathan a look of incredulity.  "He was going to execute me.  Or did you forget about that?"

"Well, you are a deserter.  That is frowned upon."

Bonnie chuckled, still hammering away at the ceiling.  "That's an understatement."

"Why did you desert the Legionnaires?"

Bonnie paused for a moment, not exactly sure she wanted to reveal much about her past.  There wasn't much to say about it, really.  She had a normal upbringing (a few exceptions withstanding) with her parents until her father, Jack O'Connell, disappeared one day.  Her mother, Caroline, passed away shortly after, leaving little Bonnie to fend for herself in an orphanage in Cairo.  Without a whole bunch of positive influence, Bonnie was left to her own devices and became a con woman and a thief.  Over the years, she obtained a small group of associates and acquaintances to help in her survival until some French soldiers saw her potential and took her in as a special circumstance.

After the battle of Hamunaptra, Bonnie didn't feel she had much of a choice but to settle back in her old ways. 

So, Bonnie merely shrugged and chiseled away some more.  "I dunno, seemed like a good idea at the time."

William frowned at her.  "Your view of good ideas are questionable."

Bonnie raised a brow at the librarian, lowering the hammer in her hand.  "And yet I'm still alive."

Bonnie knew she was practically driven by an uncanny instinct, not exactly possessing a knack for ancient knowledge in books, but she knew what worked to survive and it hadn't failed her.

Yet.

"So after fighting here, you just, what, wandered the desert?" Jonathan asked.

"Kinda," Bonnie replied before going back to the task at hand. 

The other two continued working and an awkward silence fell among them for about thirty minutes before conversation picked up once more, but for the few hours after that, they didn't really exchange pleasantries.  Jonathan eventually got bored and decided to work on his golf game.  William and Bonnie figured they could take a break at that point.  The silence, however, was heavy, so Bonnie decided to improve the situation as she pulled out some bread and started eating it.