A Mission For Answers

Days and days have passed but Wendy still hadn't got her answer. "If this was how it was going to be maybe I should just push her far enough until she gives me her answers," Wendy thought. Noon had come and Maxine still was her happy self. "Max, please tell me," Wendy bugged Maxine over and over but she still got no answer, just a sigh and nothing else. As the sun set, there went by another day where Wendy got no answers. This soon became a habit where Maxine would just ignore the question and walk away. "Max, can I ask you something. This time please don't walk away from me," Wendy firmly said. "What? You've been asking the same question over and over and it's bothering me a lot," Maxine said clearly annoyed. "Just listen. You told me when the time comes, but I've been waiting and waiting and I have this feeling that you lied to me. When is that time going to happen?" Wendy whined. To Maxine's surprise that wasn't the question she was expecting but it wasn't one she wanted. "I'll know when it's time when you stop asking. Give me time to think through what has been happening in my life and then I'll tell you. That's when the time is right," Maxine made her final answer and walked away from Wendy. Another answer she didn't want. Wendy took her advice and stopped asking. For days, she wouldn't ask and as each day passed Maxine didn't consider once that maybe it was time. Wendy's patience began to shrink as each day left with no answer given and for a moment she thought about giving up. Then there was something in her that told her not to give up. If she gives up, that means she gives up on her friend, and if she gives up on her friend, she won't have her friend anymore.

Maxine said it herself, she said she should end life, and Wendy wasn't going to let that happen. "Maxine, I'm not waiting anymore. I'm not going to wait to find you lying on the floor lifeless. That's not going to happen. I've been patient with you and you know it. The time is now. Why were you crying. In general, why do you cry each night at your window and say horrible things. Why? How come you change your mood in the morning like nothing happened. Last, how come you lied to me? You act all happy when that's not true. You never told me any of these things. I thought I was your friend. This time I'm not going to let you ignore me, and walk away as if I wasn't there. Now this is the part where you answer my questions. Why Maxine?" Wendy didn't move an inch where she stood. Maxine didn't move either. Wendy has NEVER called her by her full name and she knew that Wendy wasn't going anywhere whether she liked it or not. "If we are going to talk about this, can we go somewhere private where no one will hear us," Maxine sighed. Wendy's face brightened, "The treehouse it is." As the both got up on the ladder the slower Maxine went. "It doesn't take five minutes to go up one ladder," Wendy said from behind. After that Maxine moved faster and finally got up in the treehouse. Wendy blocked the exit as she did before, just in case. "Now we are alone where no one can hear us, and now I'm waiting for your answer. Answer, please." Maxine could tell Wendy was serious and that made her more nervous just thinking about it.

Maxine stayed quiet for a few seconds but realized even if she didn't say anything she would still have to answer her question. "You wouldn't understand if I told you," Maxine refused to answer her question. "Why do you think I won't understand. I've known you practically my whole life, yet you don't trust me. And even if I don't understand, I'll still listen to whatever you have to say," Wendy said feeling hurt by her friend's words."How come she doesn't trust me. Of course I will understand. It doesn't matter if the answer doesn't make sense, I'll still be there to help," Wendy thought. "If I tell you, do you promise not to tell anybody, even if they threatened to kill you," Maxine said unsure if it was the right thing to do. Wendy stared at her in shock, she couldn't believe what she was saying! Wendy cleared her throat for Maxine's attention, "HAVE I EVER TOLD ANYONE YOUR SECRETS BEFORE???!!!!" Wendy shouted. "No..." Maxine made herself smaller. Wendy glared at her friend even more, giving her an are you serious? look."If you know that I have never ever told anyone one of your secrets then how come you can't tell me this one?" Maxine looked up at her giving her puppy eyes so that she wouldn't be mad at her anymore. "It's because this one is personal. Really personal." "All of your secrets have been personal," Wendy said in a calmer voice. "Spit it out. What's the answer," Wendy questioned her as if she was a suspect in a case. "Why?" Maxine asked like a little child. "Because I want your answer. So what's the answer?" Wendy stared at her, daring her to move a single inch. "Answer, the question."

"Fine," Maxine finally gave in. "Have you ever had moments where life just... It's not what you want. You wish you could go back to being that young innocent girl. It's like life isn't turning the right direction for you even though other people think you're fine. Well guess what. You're not. You probably already know it but, every night I cry on my window and let it all out. I didn't know you saw me. Every night, I get this pain in my chest. A guilty feeling telling me everything is not alright. The pain hurts so much, so I end up crying. I don't like it when people see me cry. It's embarrassing. So I go in my room where no one can hear or see me but I guess I was wrong about that. Everytime I cry it feels like I let out all the memories go past me, as if you're refreshing a page. Even though the memories are good it still hurts to think about them. The thing is, the good memories always hurt the most. It's complicated. When I think of good memories it makes me feel like I've done something wrong. Now you know," Maxine said as she began to cry. "I've never told anyone about the pain I go through. It's complicated because it's a mystery as well." Tears and tears began to fall from Maxine's eyes. She didn't care anymore if someone was watching. "Why didn't you tell me this? I could have done something about it. You know you can always trust me. I'll always be there for you, don't forget it," Wendy said as she gave Maxine a big warm hug. Then Maxine whipped the last tear that fell down her face and left Wendy wondering what she could do to help.

Like Maxine said, she didn't really understand. "How can good memories make a person feel bad? Aren't they suppose to make a person feel good about themself?" Wendy thought to herself. Sometimes Maxine can be really complicated. At least she got her answers this time. Wendy left the treehouse as well and went inside the house to find Maxine quietly reading a book. Wendy walked her way and sat next to her. "What's the book about?" Wendy asked Maxine trying to make conversation. Maxine looked up but didn't answer. The book she was reading was Wendy's favorite so it was a stupid question to ask. Wendy sighed. "Do you want to play Call Of Duty? I'll try to understand how to play," Wendy laughed a little at the end but she wasn't really interested. All she wanted was to see her friend happy, not depressed and sad. "No, not really. I'm not in the mood to play," Maxine said as she got back to playing her game. "Not in the mood? Guess that was a bad idea to ask how come she lies about how she was feeling. Maxine's never not in the mood. If only she could be happy again," Wendy thought to herself as she sat down, boring herself to death. When Maxine finished the book she laid down. "What do you want to do?" Wendy said trying to get her friend to smile but that was useless. "Nothing. There's nothing to do anyway," Maxine said as she closed her eyes. "Nothing to do? There's a whole bunch of stuff to do. We could play video games, watch tv, play outside, play truth or dare, there's a whole bunch of stuff to do. We could even go shopping if your mom allows us," Wendy said trying to make Maxine happy. "There's nothing for me to do," Maxine said as she went to sleep and ignored anyone who tried to wake her.

"Maxine. Maxine. Maxine." Wendy said as she poked her friend so that she would wake up. "Maxine. Maxine. Maxine. Maxine. Wake up." Maxine groaned and threw a pillow at Wendy's face. "Hey what was that for?!" Wendy said as she threw the pillow back. "That's for trying to wake me up," Maxine whined. "I didn't try. I already have successfully woke you up. If you're talking you're awake," Wendy pointed out. "Not anymore," Maxine said going back to bed. "Please wake up. It's getting boring just doing nothing. Why not we scare your mom or something?" Wendy pleaded. Maxine didn't move and just went back to bed ignoring Wendy who was sitting there alone doing absolutely nothing. Maxine got up and stared at her friend with tired eyes. The more she looked at her the more her eyes grew heavy. When Maxine completely shut her eyes Wendy shouted in her face "WAKE UP!!!" That woke her up. "Can you please leave me alone?!" Maxine yelled to Wendy's surprise. She didn't mean to upset her friend, she was only joking with her. "Sorry," Wendy whispered as she walked away with guilt. Maxine didn't forgive her, all she did was watch Wendy walk away and she went back to sleep ignoring the fact that she was making that day boring. Wendy even considered about calling her mom to pick her up but that wouldn't be right to just leave Maxine alone. It was her friend's sleepover after all. It wouldn't be nice.
--------------------------------------------
Hi I'm back. Anyway I've decided to write everyday because it's getting boring just waiting for the day to come to publish.