Chapter 1

1940. America. The big south.

Over 10 years into the Great Depression, and still the fighting spirit of the people had not yet died, had not yet been touched by war - that would take another year.

But for now, America, though sunken and in recess, still had life and opportunity.

Haerin's life, until she was 8, had been well-off, to say the least. That was, until a fateful day in 1929, in October 1929, on a Thursday, and then a Tuesday; that stripped away millions of Americans all that they had; that triggered a global crash, sending almost everyone and everything into a state of delirium. She was not so well-off anymore, but luckily she was only a child at the time, so that the memories would sting less and innocent acceptance would come more easily.

It had not come so easily to her parents; her father, who had toiled for years and years to amass his fortune; her mother, who had abandoned her fortune for love.

----------

The sun cracked over the hills - it was sunrise, time for Haerin to awake. Her eyes flashed open and shut, open and shut several times, until she heaved herself off the bed with a quiet groan. She sat on the edge of the bed, legs dangling, and rubbed her eyes, yawning in the process. She ruffled back her hair and closed her eyes for several moments to prepare herself for the day ahead.

The house was already empty when Haerin left, father and mother already off at work. Haerin slung her bag over her shoulder and headed to the dusty path next to her house, to the dairy where she worked as a delivery girl.

The road was about 2 miles long, and the summer sun, even in the morning, made it a tiring trek. It was a trek made every day, for several years now, so that she could do all she could to help, so there would be food on the table and clothes on their backs. Work was a necessity.

She was about halfway into the walk now, had reached the point where she would think about her life. Her family was sweet she wasn't sure if there was any other word for it they managed to hide the hurt that depression had worn upon them, managed to cover all thoughts of despair with a thin veil of happiness.

Her life was happy kind of, she had everything she needed and a loving family, though she did miss rolling in excess and having all of her heart's desires - she had grown used to not wanting anything, to accepting things as they were and trying to never be selfish.

These thoughts carried her to the dairy where she worked, and the sun was beginning to ascend more and more into the sky as she set off with her first load, trotting into the town.

She completed her rounds and headed back to the dairy to rest, to meet with her friends before going off to lunch. Haerin plopped down on a chair and shrunk her shoulders, a little tired. Her friend Minji was sitting in a chair beside her, also tired. She turned to Haerin. She spoke with excitement in her voice.

"Haerin? Haerin?" Haerin was too tired to respond, still had her eyes closed.

"Haerin! C'mon! I know you're awake, you just sat down!"

"Yes, Minji?" Haerin spoke in a soft voice, eyes still closed.

"Did you hear about the carnival that's going on tonight?" Minji asked.

"Yeah. We've had this conversation every day for the past -

"Are you going?"

"For the 20th time, yes, I am." Haerin responded.

"Who are you going with?"

"You. We agreed on this already -

"Okay, good, because the talk around town is that -