Chapter 40

——Third Person's POV ——

Amaani sat in front of the mirror and examined her reflection.

Was there something she couldn't notice but Camari could in the past two days they've spent? Her heart was beating fast, like a ray of hope had been triggered in her after a long time. She was oblivious of her surroundings most of the time but to this extent? She looked back at her mirroring eyes skeptically.

Brown eyes stared back and long straight locks fell to her shoulders and below. Her white eyebrow and strand of hair, two of her most distinctive features, stood out even to her. Involuntarily, she pulled the gray strands behind her ear and continued to think.

Jaber. Jaber Suleman. Nervous?

Of me?!

Camari wouldn't lie to her face, could she?

"No! I refuse to believe it! He can't!" she finally stood up from her seat in exasperation and pointed at her reflection, the other hand landing on her right side. "Amaani Sohail, you need to stop thinking about that sour Susan! You're probably the last person to cross his mind so stop giving him the importance he doesn't deserve!"

She huffed after her little outburst and dropped back down on the little seat in front of the mirror. It had been only a moment she had settled down that small footsteps approached her. "Feeling better now?"

Amaani snapped her head towards the voice in fright. For a second, she thought she had been caught talking to herself like a madwoman, even worse—indirectly confessing her concern for Jaber's impression of her. As soon as the familiar, petite girl stepped into view with an amused smile, she sighed in relief.

"Camari? When did you come in?" her voice had reduced to a mouse's squeak. She grinned sheepishly at her while girl beamed at her with curiosity. "Like five minutes? You didn't notice me come in. I heard you if that's what you're asking, but don't worry, I'm not going to tell anyone anything." she comforted her immediately. Despite that, it did not give her the assurance she needed in the least.

Camari laughed when she saw Amaani's pale face and continued,

"I promise! You can trust me. Besides, I have no one to tell your secrets to." Then she paysed for a second and grinned, "You can share your feelings with me if you want. Girls here say I'm a good listener."

Amaani shook her head, totally unconvinced.

"There is nothing to share. I was just talking to myself and getting my thoughts straight.
Really." she defended with hands held up in surrender and head shaking. Camari walked closer. "That's fine. I'm not one to force anyone. But, I'll say it again; Jaber definitely likes you. There are many reasons why I think so and him being nervous around you is just one." she shrugged her shoulders casually and invited herself to sit down on the sitting mattress nearby.

Amaani's eyes widened to the size of two footballs and she clasped her mouth with her hand. "No, no! You're getting this way wrong! There isn't a chance of something like that." despite her protests, her heart had started to race again. The thought of it made something flip inside her stomach which was a weird, tickling feeling. No matter what, she wasn't going to let herself think about that. Jaber was not interested in her and Camari was just a little girl who experienced a great misunderstanding.