Chapter 59:

—-Amaani's POV—-

Memories flooded back as soon as I laid my eyes on the dark garden of the Temples. I could see the glittering fountain under the moonlight, a few branches growing diagonally from its peripheries. I looked back at Jaber who stood meters away, discussing his strategy one last time with Camari before going in.

My heart tugged at the thought of him jumping into dangerous situations again but I stopped myself from saying anything. Today was two nights after our first failure. After hours of preparing, we got the wrong guy but at least Jaber found out Father's true identity. We stood on the perimeters of the temples, hidden in the far corner of the property where construction was taking place.

It was near Dawn and no one came there so we had found a good spot to revise our plan.

"Remember, the chambers of the high priests are divided into two sections. One is right beside the training Hall and the other one is on the backside of the Main Temple." Camari spoke. She paused for a second as if the next part of her sentence was hard for to her say. She gulped, looked around herself, and whispered; "It's where I saw the rituals. I'm sure that's where the clergy's council sits."

Jaber nodded once to acknowledge her statement. "I'll take care of the rest. Before the bells ring for the first service, I'll act. Meanwhile, I need all of you to disperse around the area." He turned to look at me. "You stay at the main gates where the worshippers come in, Amaani," he ordered. I nodded obediently but inwardly smiled at the thought that it was becoming common for him to say my first name.

He said so naturally that no one even noticed that he did. Not even Saira who stood quietly in his side. And certainly not Sufiyaan.

After addressing me, he turned to Sufiyaan and appointed him his post. "And you stay close to the van with the men, Saira. Usama will be with you to access the surveillance cameras and provide information about the location of the priests," he told her. She did not think before nodding.

Camari was ordered to hide herself in the marketplace nearby so no one could recognize her. Jaber had decided that it was best for her to stay as far away from the temples as she could, which I agreed with.

"If anything goes wrong, I'll give three beeps. That's the emergency signal which means we withdraw. All of you run towards Usama and Saira's location away from your posts and we run." Jaber explained, making me realize our current mission wasn't easy.

It was our final straw and probably a death sentence. He had already given us a heart-shaking speech about the reality of this life and how the hereafter was our real abode.

In short, he had prepared us to face our deaths if need be.

I glimpsed at the tall buildings of the Temples again. It was very dark and the only source of light came from the street lamps installed in the garden and near the big entrances.

"Take care of yourself, Jaber," I said almost shakily, bringing my eyes back to him. He was already looking at me and I had to shift my gaze to the ground to avoid fidgeting nervously in front of everyone. I sensed him open his mouth to say something when—

"Sir Jaber, let us know when you get there."

Sufiyaan butted in and I almost rolled my eyes in annoyance.