Chapter 32

Tensions were growing between the leaf and the mist, so Lord Third sent a request to the Mizukage for a meeting between the two leaders. They agreed that they would meet on a small island on the edge of the Land of Water. It was halfway in Leaf territory, and halfway in Mist territory, and the two villages had long designated it as a demilitarized zone. Neither country was allowed to place any shinobi there, nor create any offensive or defensive strategies involving that island. Out of respect for the treaty of the island, people didn't even live on it. There was just a single structure in which meetings were occasionally held between the Land of Fire and the Land of Water.

For weeks, more and more leaf shinobi teams were stationed up and down the coast. In preparation for the Hokage's trip, the outposts along the planned routes were also stocked with ANBU. All of the teams loyal to the Hokage were sent out. Team Ky was in the outpost closest to the port Lord Third would sail from. The heaviest ANBU presence was at the port. But only one team would be going with Lord Third to the island. They could not have a heavy ANBU presence on the island, to avoid inciting a war between the two villages.

Akira stood on the balcony that surrounded the observation room, looking out over the trees at the night sky and the mountains in the distance. Her sensory ability was on high alert, but she remained relaxed, enjoying the peace. The leaves were still green, despite it being early fall. She looked up at the stars and crossed her arms, tracing the constellations in her mind's eye.

Despite admiring the scenery, she was aware of someone climbing the staircase behind her.

"How's it lookin'?" A low voice asked.

"Quiet. Nothing to note, sir," Akira replied.

Kakashi walked up behind her and stopped on her left side. He looked up at the stars as well, hands in his pockets.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have your own outpost to guard?" Akira asked quietly, smirking. She found it amusing when Kakashi sought her out, even if they were on duty. And it was always for some very trivial thing that he could have figured out himself, or gotten from Seek. 

He shrugged. "Eh, Tenzo's got it covered. Besides, Seek and I were meeting up to discuss some things."

Akira raised an eyebrow and looked up at Kakashi, suddenly thankful that neither one of them had their mask on.

"What kind of things?" Akira asked. She admired the way the stars reflected in his eye. The beautiful black that she had always loved.

"Don't worry about it. Stay focused on your task at hand."

Akira frowned but turned back to face the forest. Did he catch her staring? She just didn't get to see his eyes much anymore, that's all. Both of their teams had been on assignments and missions almost nonstop in the last few months because of the potential war. They only briefly saw each other every once in a while. But pulling rank? Seriously? That was just rude. It was her team's outpost, after all, Kakashi was just visiting.

"Yes sir," she muttered under her breath.

Kakashi bumped her with his elbow. "Oh, and happy birthday." He said, smiling, eyes crinkling up a bit at the corners.

"So that's why you're here!" She grinned and looked back up at him. Her birthday had been a couple of days beforehand, but this was the first they had seen each other in two weeks. "I bet you and Seek didn't even need to talk, you could've sent a falcon. You're here for me, aren't you?"

"Shut it..." Kakashi growled, glaring at her. But he was clearly flustered, which pleased her.

Akira turned to face him. "Sooo, since it's my birthday, where's my present, Kaaashi?" She smiled sweetly and cocked her head to the side.