*Special* Kakashi POV 3

Reference: Chapter 18

+++

Kakashi had jumped backward out of Orochimaru's reach right as Akira had throw the bomb. He had seen her pick up the rock and knew what was coming. The rock exploded against his back, sending him stumbling forward with a yell. What he hadn't expected was for Orochimaru to focus all of his attention solely on her, and completely disregard the rest of them. It would have been a good plan, if it weren't for the fact that they were facing a sannin.

Orochimaru turned to face Akira, bloodlust and killing intent seeping out of him in full force. Akira raised her kunai in front of her, but Kakashi could see the fear in her eyes. He felt his own fear.

His body moved on its own before Orochimaru even started forward. He formed a chidori and ran toward Akira. He had to get there. He had to get there before Orochimaru did.

Orochimaru blitzed forward, and Kakashi barely made it in time. He punched Orochimaru's outstretched hand with his left fist, then attacked with his chidori. Blood sprayed across his vest and mask as his right hand went straight through Orochimaru's shoulder. He was so angry, he hit the sannin so hard he sunk his arm in past his elbow.

Everything seemed to stop. Kakashi was breathing heavily, glaring at Orochimaru. His own killing intent was seeping out of him, his chakra spinning faster than it ever had before. Lightning flickered behind Orochimaru's shoulder, and Kakashi slowly pulled his hand out. His glove, sleeve, and forearm protector were covered in blood. The snake sannin glared at Kakashi for a moment, then leaped backward.

"I'll make you pay for that, Hatake." Then the sannin disappeared. Kakashi was breathing heavily. He lowered his arm, shaking a bit. He couldn't turn to look at Akira right now. He couldn't stand to see the fear in her eyes. She was alive. That's what mattered.

+++

"Goat, go relieve Fox. She's been out there long enough," Kakashi instructed his sensory team member. He had no doubt that the poor girl was probably exhausted after being on watch for almost twelve hours straight. Goat nodded and left the cave. A moment later, a very tired looking Akira entered.

Kakashi looked up at her as she took her mask off. Her face was weary, as if she had seen a thousand nightmares all at once. He supposed that in a way she had. Her emerald eyes were dull with exhaustion. She didn't even greet her captain, and instead immediately went to Kakashi's side, almost as if on instinct. She knelt down next to him, her leg bumping his. He could tell she was doing everything in her power to not lean on him in that moment. She was so tired, when she initially knelt down she almost slumped right into his side. He was about to tell her it was alright, to just go to sleep here. But then she put her hands over Fly's chest and began a healing jutsu.

He wanted to tell her to stop, but he also didn't want her to stop. He didn't want to lose Fly, and any medical help he could get he would take.

Akira was able to sustain the jutsu for a few minutes. Eventually though, she had to stop. She sat back on her heels and once again almost slumped into Kakashi's side. But she caught herself. Sweat beaded on her forehead, and she wiped it away with her sleeve.

"Go get some rest, Akira." Kakashi whispered to her. He smiled slightly, even though she didn't look at him. "You've done enough. It's okay."

For once she didn't argue with him. She stood, using his shoulder as leverage to help herself up, and crossed the cave to where Bat was sleeping. Bat shifted over so she could share the open bag with him, and faced the wall. Akira practically collapsed onto the bag. She was asleep as soon as she hit the ground.

Kakashi watched her for a few minutes, making sure she was actually asleep. It was the most peaceful he had seen her look all day. She fit right in with the rest of the ANBU, and clearly her team had already accepted her as one of them. It made him extremely grateful.