Chapter 11

Victor's POV

(3 years later)

I've been observing zombies through my television screen for the past 3 years now. I had noticed their behavioral patterns and jotted them on my computer on a daily basis ever since the apocalypse started. 

I knew that this was an important piece of information that could be shared with any survivors. If there was even one at this point.

World War broke out about a week later after it had infiltrated the US and spread throughout the globe. There was too much bloodshed. 

Too many lives lost as they united with the undead.

It didn't take long for commanders to announce code red, and just like the domino effect, many other countries inevitably fall into a similar situation.

Their plan has failed.

Even with the impenetrable bunkers they had owned, the zombies had, unknowingly, found their own ways of infecting the survivors without having to be physically there.

By polluting the water well with their blood.

Since the land was already covered with blood, when it rained, the diluted blood polluted the streams and rivers. 

The water source that the survivors depended on. It didn't take long before those who drank the contaminated water to turn.

When the adulterated water passes through their taps and into their lips, they can no longer be saved.

How ironic that a robust and impenetrable bunker could not keep the enemy out.

Later that night, when it was the end of the military shifts, they headed back into the bunkers for rest, not realising what awaited behind them closed doors.

As soon as the doors unlocked, they were jumped on and trampled upon by hundreds of newly turned zombies.

This broke out in the news, causing everyone to stay away from the natural water sources except from newly collected rainwater. Most of us just rely on bottled water.

However, the catastrophe did not end there.

Our dwindled population was further reduced when the military made a gravely dead mistake.

None of the survivors were quarantined and assumed that once you're infected, you'd automatically turn. 

They had unknowingly accepted survivors who were lightly wounded from direct physical contact with the zombies.

It turns out that the time span for one to turn will depend on the severity of the infection. A theory I came up with on the first day of apocalypse.

However,  there was no way of proving this of mine theory, and from my observations thus far, all that were attacked by them had instantly turned.

Until the news was broadcast to conclude my theory was right indeed.

It was strenuous times for the human race.

Our vicious enemies are only growing in numbers, and we're fighting a losing battle.

Every news channel broadcasts the updates of the situation. 

Some channels showed what was happening on the ground. Some planned to reunite the remaining army as one, while some even showed what was happening in the shelters.

The severity of mental trauma and inability to handle the loss of their beloved has caused them to take their own lives.

It was utter chaos.