Chapter 19

Shana's POV

Very soon, the helicopter landed on the roof of the tower. The moment it did, I was greeted by a beautiful garden that stretches along one side of the tower. It was decorated with a colourful array of flowers and fruits.

I was taken aback at how well it is taken care of. The garden is guarded by a beautiful Victorian fence and the carpet grass covers the entire roof. 

Occasionally, I see water sprouted from the grass patch into a large water fountain tinged with colourful lights. Butterflies flutter, pollinating the colourful flowers.

It looks so magical.

As I was busy admiring the magnificence of the roof, Vic got out and opened the doors for me. Without taking my eyes off the colourful fountains, I put on my backpack and held his hand as he helped me down, before shutting the door.

But as I did, I saw movements from the side of my eyes. 

Three fuzzy furballs of different colours hopped and played with each other in the grass. Occasionally, they were hidden as they were buried in several of the flower patches.

My smile didn't leave my face as I, immediately, ran towards them and hugged the little fuzzies. They were a German shepherd puppy, a brown munchkin Scottish fold kitten and a white Netherland baby bunny! 

All of these, I never expected to see in an apocalypse.

I giggled as these three fuzzy baby animals tickled my face with their soft furs. The puppy was wagging its tail as it licked my face. 

The little kitty was meowing for affection. The baby bunny however, wiggled itself free and ran towards the far end of the wall.

I pouted.

Well, I can't blame a prey animal for being afraid.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Victor asked as I heard his footsteps approaching from the back.

With the puppy and kitten still in my arms, I turned with a huge kid-like-smile plastered on my face and nodded.

"They're so cute!" I shrieked and bounced a little.

"Where did you find them?" I asked as I showered them with kisses, which earned a smile from him.

"I was driving past a farm on my last trip and I saw a few animals running around in the barn."

"I thought they would bring life to my garden." He walked closer to me and patted the puppy on its head.

"How about the parents?"

"They ran away when I tried to catch them." He shrugged.

"Oh.."

"They have each other, at least" He looked me in the eyes with a sincere smile.

I nodded and let the puppy and kitten go as they continued on playing.

"Do you need some help?" I asked with concern. The two very big duffel bags looked very heavy.

"No." He shook his head.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Come on, let me carry this at least." I tapped on his backpack.

He is gonna break his back if he is gonna carry all those for long. I looked around the roof. Isn't there a wagon somewhere around here?

"No, Shana." He looked at me and said it as if he's speaking to a kid.