Chapter 13

Victor's POV

The entire way back to the cliff was peaceful, even though I did hit a couple of zombies roaming mindlessly on the highway. My mood was somber. 

Flashes of memories fogging up my mind as I took a turn into the little town.

"I know you don't have anyone you could trust back at home" Nick punched, aiming straight to my jaw when I was drunk one time, a year after I joined the marines. 

Unlike Noah, his close friend, Nick is brave and his fighting skills and knowledge rivalled my own.

I wasn't exactly close to either of them that time, but the brotherhood we shared during training through our blood, sweat and tears was strong nonetheless. 

Mother came over making a ruckus after failing to bribe my way out from the contract. I saw her from afar, along with the entire family and bodyguards flanking their sides.

That sight took me off guard that morning during our regular drill, resulting in all the traumatizing past flooding through my head. 

So much so, I barely noticed the confusion present on the sergeant's and the other military staff faces, looking back and forth between my family and I, wondering if they had missed out on something big for the fuss they were facing.

No-one knows the reason I joined the marines. It's not a topic I particularly talk about.

But none of them knows about the family problems I had either.

This is the military. Not a place for therapy.

Of course, that sudden arrival of my family had such a negative effect on me as I was still young at that time. I didn't know whom I could turn to. I didn't know how to control my emotions.

Alas, I was in big trouble that night sneaking out from the boot camp. 

Somehow, I was able to get myself a few bottles of vodka despite my age; drinking and dragging myself towards the edge of the bridge.

My emotions were a jumbled mess as I stared at the cloudy moonless sky, reflecting the state of my mind. I was tempted to jump off the bridge until I heard a familiar voice shouting my name.

"Victor. The fuck you doing man?" Nick jogged up towards me, wearing the exact same clothes during our drills that morning, looking rather pissed.

"A few have already suspected that you sneaked out. Do you know how difficult it was to cover for you!"

His voice was just an annoying buzz that I wish to snuff out. I was enjoying the drunken state I was in as I held the bottle up to my lips for another gulp.

"We need to go otherwise, we'd be in huge trouble for sneaking out!" The haste in his voice was evident as he looked at the two emptied glass bottles laying messily on my side.

My silence was enough warning that I didn't want to be disturbed, especially not when I was in much need of a clear mind.

I lowered my head pretending I was alone, swaying a little, savoring the euphoria I felt. I brought it back up for a few more gulps and in the midst, the bottle was flung out from my hand.

Before I was able to process what happened next, I found myself in a brawl.

My left leg thrusted sloppily, aiming for the knee but missed. I was able to land a few hits on Nick, even, in my drunken state which I must say, I was surprised.

"You know nothing so shut the fuck up!" I got up from the ground after the punch he landed on my face, digging my legs to the ground, I charged at him.

He allowed me to grab his waist but before I was able to tackle him to the ground, he made me lose my footing. A second later, I was laying face down with my arms locked, the weight of his knees both on the back of my head and lower back.