Love and its bands

Jimmy was incredibly lucky to have a sister and husband-to-be who procrastinated over everything. It meant that he could intertwine his ideas into their day seamlessly and without causing great disruption.

However, it did mean he was forced into taking part in the overall planning of the day, which was almost comparable to the endless hours of paperwork he had suffered through at his fiancé's side and aid.

It was going to be worth it, even is his hand was still feeling the effects; every now and again feeling the phantom weight of a pen glued to his hand.

- - - -

Lizzie was looking in the mirror when Jimmy walked in. She had been searching for her dress to no avail for an amount of time she could no longer name. This one, however, made her feel things she was unsure existed, It was the cliché feeling of looking like a bride, tears brimming in her eyes as her brother smiled, walking towards her to voice his own approvals. 

- - - -

The dress was stunning. Jimmy had never seen his sister look so comfortable and happy in herself until that moment. She wasn't self-conscious, that was reserved for him, but she always looked uncomfortable in clothes their parents had forced into wearing before their passing years ago. The habit had stuck like a shadow to her; she was unable to fight it.

Jimmy hoped that having Joel by her side will remove that.

- - - -

It was sunset when Jimmy was freed from the merciless grips of his family. The couple had forced possible cake slices into his mouth, each one its own unique flavour that suited the taste of either one or the other, never both. Lizzie had demanded more cakes be produced by the factory for her to try.  

He was praying for Joel's sanity.

He was also asked to help pick flowers, lights and other decorations. Especially when it came to his own moment. For Lizzie and Joel, he picked blue and purple flowers, two perfect compliments for an equally perfect pair. 

For him, he picked poppies and orchids - a symbol of unity between them and their respective empires.

The flight back to Rivendell was peaceful, the night clear and almost mute sounds of monsters too far to spike any fear. It was a welcome change of pace from the none-stop that surrounded weddings. 

He was dreading the planning phase of his own.

- - - -

Scott heard Jimmy's arrival from outside. His fiancé had never been capable of the gentle landings the cyanette was forced into learning as a child. It was a strangely endearing part of Jimmy that Scott had discovered. It was part of Jimmy's overflowing clumsiness. 

He was filling two mugs of hot chocolate when the blonde walked through the door, hair askew, clothes wrinkled and eyes looking as if they were going to close with startling imminency. Whatever he had been doing, it had caused a strain, but by the soft smile being targeted at him, he could tell he was tired in a good way.

"You alright sunflower?"

"Fine. Lizzie and Joel forced me into helping with wedding planning." Scott chuckled, knowing how insistent the two could be from the meetings he's had with them.

"They sorted everything?"

"Apart from the cake, yeah. It took a while though." Scott opened his, now empty, arms and let Jimmy fall into him, supporting his weight with minimal difficulty.

However, when Jimmy gasped, he grew concerned.

"Jim?"

"You still wear the ring." To anyone else 'the ring' would have been to vague. To Scott, it filled him with a light he had buried long before meeting Jimmy. The one that held love and care; the willingness to relent and let someone in. 

He had thought about it for a long time before he made the decision to leave. Whether to wear the ring or leave it behind. Leaving it behind would have felt like saying no, keeping it would be a painful reminder of what he could no longer have. 

So instead, he entrusted it with Aeor before he left, the God providing a hidden safe only he could access. It would mean that, if he returned, he could easily find it safe, but it also meant Jimmy didn't think he had reconsidered saying yes.

"'Course I do." Scott looked at Jimmy's face to find a gorgeous smile paired with slow tears that waltzed down his face, making his skin glisten in the soft light of candles and lanterns.

- - - -

Jimmy had been almost desperate to just snuggle up to Scott and sleep. But he couldn't propose without a ring. Well, he could, but because there was to be a crowd of people who didn't know they were already engaged, it was easier to give him another and then explain the full story.

Sadly, that meant Jimmy had to fly back home so he had his materials and bench to make the ring. He had personally designed and crafted Scott's original ring. It had been nothing more than a gold band with a, intricately small line of diamonds decorating the middle.

This time, he wanted something more. Something that Scott would fall in love with. Jimmy knew he adored his ring, he had hardly looked away from it the night they got engaged, but he wanted something more than adoration, he wanted love. 

Being an unofficial jeweller was something that was only his fiancé knew about; it may be why he wanted the ring to be better - so he could feel some worth when life was still in a period after uncertainty.

- - - -

It was almost dawn by the time he had completed the ring, watching it with awe as it sat on his work bench. He had decided to modify his original ring, keeping the band as it was; adding a stone to the front.

The stone was a red diamond, something exclusive to other areas of the world. Luckily he had one left. He had elevated the stone from the ring with petal shapes, making the centre piece look like a flower. 

He just had to hope Scott adored it just as much as he did.

~ ~ ~ ~

Guess who's back?

Back again

ROTOLG is back

Tell a friend