The Warrior Who Would Not Die

There were already rumors spreading throughout Camelot, Stiles and Gwen have been spotted arm in arm, not even trying to hide it. He attended the council meetings regularly, giving his input. And they were sometimes seen together riding.

"Sup, Gaius," Stiles said, stepping into the physician's chambers.

Gaius looked up from his book,"Good morning, Stiles. Can I help you?"

"I was just wondering how the whole...magic spell was going?" Stiles asked.

Gaius paused,"Rather slowly I'm afraid. I've read several books on magical texts but there were things even the most powerful sorcerers could not change. Manipulation of time is one of them. The closest perhaps was a spell to mend shattered glass."

Stiles nodded, feeling his heart drop just a little,"Well, when there's a will there's a way."

"That is one of the few things you've said that I don't need you to explain," Gaius said with a smile.

"What are you reading?" Stiles asked curiously, looking down at a book, handwritten. All books were handwritten in this time period, making his hand cramp up just thinking about writing a hundred page book.

"This? It's a story I've been fond of since I was a boy. It tells of a warrior, most noble of all knights. One day he was captured by an enemy kingdom and they killed everyone in his battalion except him. Since he had killed many of their people they promised a slow end.

"So they chained him to the side of a cliff by the sea just in time for a hurricane to come. And when they came back four days later when the storm had lifted he still lived. Half dead, but still his heart beat as strong as ever. And do you know what he said when they asked how he survived the storm?"

Stiles's eyes were wide, fully invested despite only hearing so little of the story,"What?"

"I am the storm," Gaius quoted,"He lived because he met the storm with equal strength, his will matched a force of nature."

"Whoa," Stiles said.

Gaius chuckled, then he handed him the book,"Here. Read it if you wish."

"Really?"

"I would like it back eventually. And try not to ruin it."

"Uh-huh," Stiles said, already opening to the first page reading as he stepped out the door.

. . .

Stiles took the book with him everywhere, training, walking around the castle, even occasionally during dinner.

"Is it a good book?" Gwen asked as they ate breakfast.

Stiles looked up, midbite. His left hand holding the book, his right hand using the fork,"Yeah. Sorry, not very good manners," He said, closing the book and pushing it away from him.

"I understand. Gaius has let me read it as well," Gwen said,"I especially like the part in the beginning when he saves his future wife."

Stiles nodded in agreement,"I've reread it like three times now. My favorite part is the end."

"Oh, you mean I am the storm," She said, lowering her voice to the point where she had pictured the knight's voice to be.

Stiles nodded,"Gives me chills every time I read it."

Gwen agreed,"Would you like to go on our ride today or prefer so that you could read?"

"No, definitely not. No," Stiles said,"I would definitely stop reading any time I got the chance to hang out with you."