The Hospital

A hospital out in the countryside was taking in another patient. This was a unique hospital. It had only one kind of patient with one type of medical issue, and it was full of the best people in the world to help these patients. It was a children's hospital for kids with cancer. There were older kids and younger kids, and all were diagnosed as being terminally ill. They shared having cancer in common, and the hospital had a staff of extraordinary people who wanted every kid to live. Parents were often allowed to stay overnight in the rooms with their kids. Many parents had been there day and night for months. Meals, showers, and laundry services were all available to the parents. No one wanted to miss something remarkable with their kids, and no one wanted their child to die alone. It was one of the most challenging environments on earth to survive on every human front. It was most difficult for everyone when a child died, and the parent would later commit suicide in their grief, but it happened too often.

One day a lady came in that did not have a child there. She came in with another purpose in mind. Kids often would get great joy from being able to touch an animal. A dog or a cat was therapeutic for everyone except those children with allergies. Still, some animals offered no allergic reaction by the nature of their cleanliness. Cats could be bathed to remove the dander for a short while, but some people were allergic to their saliva. Certain drugs could be used on the animal to help alleviate that too. Dogs were usually easier to treat this way than cats. Both offered relief and joy instead of the usual testing and results that were either inconclusive or sad. A happy smile was rare in this place, and everyone wanted all they could find.

As the lady approached the front desk, she caught everyone's attention. Not because of her appearance but because the pet on her leash was a beautiful adult white wolf. The staff was shocked, but after an initial introduction to 'Cherish,' everyone was ready for the patients to see her. SJ, the handler, asked to see the most critical patients first. "They are in direst need of a little relief, don't you think?" she asked, and she quickly convinced the staff to take her to the critical ward. Mostly, these kids were in the last hours or days of waiting to die. They were not beyond hope, but there didn't seem to be any left for them now. Cherish pulled roughly on her leash and headed to the farthest bed. A father was sitting beside his son. The boy was ten years old and hadn't awakened for two days. They were waiting sadly for him to die now, but his father was there, and if he could have, he would have died in his son's stead. That was rock solid. Cherish jumped on the bed and gently laid across the boy's legs. That startled the father and almost angered him in his surprise and grief.

"I'm so sorry!" SJ started saying softly. "Sometimes Cherish has a mind of her own, but she always knows where to go first. Your son drew her here. Perhaps you could hold your son's hand and see if Cherish cant help to wake him up just a little. Well, it really couldn't hurt. Cherish has a way with kids." she said. Having no hope remaining for life, the father gently picked up his son's cold limp hand. He called softly to him, "Tommy. Tommy, wake up now! See this beautiful creature that is sitting across your legs. She is so warm and beautiful ..." he said, and Tommy soon stirred and coughed. He opened his eyes just a little and reached to put his hand on the wolf.

Everyone watching caught their breath. They dared not break whatever this magic spell was. Tommy's father was now crying and sobbing silently through great smiles. Then they all watched as the frail boy woke up a little more each minute while Cherish licked at his face. Tommy giggled and smiled. Then he asked the lady holding the leash, "What is her name?" "Cherish is her name, and I think she likes you. Do you like her?" SJ replied as Tommy smiled, nodding his head 'yes' just a little. "Uh, I feel a little hungry now. Is it alright if I have something to eat? Can I share it with Cherish too?" Tommy asked. A nurse had a small meal in his lap in record time. He took a bite of the 'meat' patty and gave half of that bite to Cherish. She licked it up and swallowed the strange-looking food awkwardly, making Tommy giggle as he ate his piece slowly. The giggle was contagious. Everyone laughed with him at the funny-acting wonderful wolf.