Chapter 4: "Poker"

A cool air circulated through the streets in compensation for the blazing midday sun, it was Sunday, and the family knew what that implied

In a private game room, the Shvagenbagen's butler was arranging the marble-textured wooden chairs upholstered with ruby cloth. The poker table was expansive, as was the room, set within four wine-red walls, making a highlight of the games of chance. Lights inside cubes hung in every space, there were two windows, one overlooking the garden, the other overlooking the hallway.

The butler put the boxes of cards on the table next to the chips. Hearing footsteps, he decided to advance to the door to open it, letting the Shvagenbagen couple in, followed by the heirs.

- Thank you very much Taylor. You are dismissed. - The family then approaches their respective chairs; at a safe distance.

In a moment, the adult couple decided to shuffle the cards, while they both made combinations, Victoria decided to explain the rules.

- Well, my dear young offspring, I will now explain how to play the game. As you know, the game of poker is very controversial because of the different hands and combinations that can be drawn, it is a game of chance without a doubt - she mentioned moving the cards from one hand to the other.

- Aren't we too "small" to play this, mother? - said the eldest son of the couple.

- They are to gamble and enter a real casino, on the other hand, card games help the development of strategic thinking and mental acuity," answered the patriarch of the family.

- I consider that, at least I already have those skills, Ludwig on the other hand, maybe it will be useful for him - said the blond in a slightly mocking tone.

- Always so worried about others, Johann - the young red-haired man answered with a bit of sarcasm.

- It will serve as a mental exercise for you Johann, it's good that from time to time you have certain challenges to stimulate your mind.

- If you say so father -

- As I was saying, before being interrupted, this game is called Texas Hold'em poker, or "Hold'em" - continued the redhead. - Here the hands are formed by combining 5 cards but each player receives only two, after a round of betting the players will see the first three community cards on the table. All players participating in the hand use these community cards along with their own to make the best possible five-card hand.

- Father, sorry to interrupt, you dealt some extra cards on this side - Johann mentioned, looking away to the seat next to him.

- That's because we're having a guest.

- Speaking of him, where is he?" the redhead asked somewhat frustrated, she hated lateness. Her husband then took a deep breath, accepting that possibly, the acquaintance was not coming.

Some footsteps were heard coming from the garden outside, the window opened, revealing a man with a dark complexion and chocolate-colored hair to match his striking mustache.