𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 24 𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔

𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒑𝒐𝒗 (𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓)

"We're dealing with a sexual assault case. Apparently the mother comes home and catches the father sexually assaulting his own daughter, and claims he's guilty and it was just innocent fun. The evidence we've gathered..." The words fade out as I close my eyes, trying to take deep breaths.

It's been less than twenty-four hours since I've seen cara and I miss her so much already. New York was a beautiful place don't get me wrong, but I couldn't focus on the beauties of a different world if my world was stuck somewhere else.

"Charlie?" A voice spoke and I look up to find my boss Tara, staring at me intently.

I shake my head and plaster a smile on my face, leaning forward.

"I'm here..sorry."

She sets the thick folder down and looks into my eyes, folding her hands in her lap.

"What is it?" She asks and I sigh, she saw right through me and it was impossible to even lie to her. She wasn't even my boss she was more of a friend than a boss and I could always talk to her it's just sometimes I didn't want to, she saw right through me and sometimes it was scary.

"Cara...I know I'm supposed to focus but..I miss her already."

She nods understandingly, rubbing her eyes. We had been up for hours and this case would be one that kept us up for awhile I just knew it.

"Call her..we can..take a break. But you'd better haul ass after okay?" She smiles and I sigh, smiling back Graciously.

"Thank you."

I head out the hotel room and start heading downstairs, I needed some fresh air and even though it was eight pm I knew the air during the night time was much colder, fresher.

I step outside and the cars blur past me, the Streets busy with what seemed like millions of pedestrians walking. I pull out my phone and call caras number, listening to it ring. When she doesn't pick up I figured she's busy or sleeping, so I call Rory instead.

He answers right away.

"Hello Charlie" something sounded off about his voice, hidden back.

"Hey is cara home? I've been meaning to call her" I close my eyes and smile, hearing her voice already sending warmth through my heart.

"No..I went to pick her up from school but she didn't show" he whispered and my smile fades slowly, I wasn't sure I heard that right.

"What?."

"Yeah I..I was out last night and came home and figured she was in her room..but this morning I checked and she wasn't in her room and-"

"What the fuck do you mean Rory??" I felt my panick rising, my breath picking up it's pace.

"I'm sure she's just out with her friend-"

"You're sure?? Rory that's my fucking daughter!" I was upset now, gaining eyes as I yelled.

Taking a deep breath I compose myself, closing my eyes. Maybe she was out, I know Rory raised her right...and she knew what was the smart choice. There was no need to panic..

"I will call the school okay? She's smart and can handle herself.. she's fine I'm sure if it okay?."

He was right...cara was smart and could handle herself..maybe she did stay after school for some extra work, or shes out with that one friend she went out to the club with. No need to panic...no need...

"Okay...but Rory? If she doesn't show within the next twenty-four hours I will murder you my fucking self. I trusted you with her and I love you both but if something or anything happens to her and I mean anything...I will murder you and hide your fucking body myself" I growled and hung the phone up, shoving it into my pockets. I meant every damn word as well, being a lawyer meant I picked up many tricks and important pieces of information I could use if I wanted to just to hide a body. But I wasn't a murder...but for cara I will be because I loved her that much.