Chapter 4

"Hey," you muttered as you walked inside your manager's office and shut the door behind you. "Cal said you wanted –"

"Hello, cupcake."

You gasped, pressing your back against the door while your fingers fumbled blindly for the handle, your wide eyes locking with the hazel ones of Floch.

He was reclining sideways in your manager's chair, sporting a black quarter-zip and tan slacks, looking as if he didn't have a care in the world. "Relax," he drawled – his mouth curled in that same, arrogant smile you remembered from the night you met him. "I'm not here to hurt you. I only want to talk about something that would benefit us both."

You paused at that – the assurance that he couldn't harm you right now freeing up your mind to consider other concerns. You squared your shoulders, trying not to look afraid as you muttered stiffly, "Where's my manager?"

Floch rolled his eyes, as if any thought for her wellbeing was beneath him. "Don't worry, I didn't hurt her, either. I just sent her on an errand so you and I could use her office. She does have quite a nice one – I'll give her that."

"I have nothing to say to you," you stated, not daring to look away from him as you again reached for the door handle.

"Oh, but I do," Floch insisted, his smile disappearing. "And if you want your manager to stay safe, you'll hear me out."

You froze at the obvious threat, then slowly pulled your hand away from the door handle. "Fine," you uttered levelly, determined not to show fear. "But if I hear you out, you have to promise you won't hurt my manager or anyone else here."

Floch waved his hand impatiently. "Yes, yes, I promise I won't hurt them. Now, let's get to the point." He stood up and stepped around the desk so it was no longer between you, his gaze serious as it held your own. "The sword."

You quickly clamped down on your surprise. "What sword?" you asked, feigning confusion.

Floch scoffed. "Don't play dumb. A little bird told me you recently acquired the Sword of Truth. I'd like to barter it from you." His smile returned, as unsettling as ever. "And I promise I'll make it worth your while."

"Even if I had something like that, there's no way I'd ever give you what you want," you stated icily. "After what you've done to Levi –"

"Let's talk about Levi, shall we?" Floch interrupted in a cheery tone, seeming unperturbed by your refusal. "I can guess what your plan is for the sword, but do you honestly think it will work? Levi might be naïve enough to buy Erwin's shit – but you're not so trusting. Am I wrong?"

You gritted your teeth and held his stare, unwilling to give him the satisfaction.

Yet, your silence was answer enough, and he chuckled. "Look, regardless of what would've happened at Levi's judgement, he can't become an angel now. He made a deal with a human and took her energy through carnal pleasures." He smirked in a way that made you feel sick, his eyes giving you a pointed once-over before continuing, "He's earned his place in Hell. If you stab him with the sword, he won't turn into an angel. He'll die – and for a demon, that means he'll cease to exist completely."

Your breath caught in your lungs. Floch couldn't speak a lie; at the very least, he had to believe what he was saying. Even if he was only hypothesizing, the mere chance that Levi could be barred from Heaven, that the sword could wipe him from existence...

Floch's smile grew. "You see? The sword is useless to you – so why not give it to me? In exchange, I'll make sure you spend eternity as a powerful demon. You'll never have to be separated from Levi, and you'll have the strength to protect the little weakling. Isn't that what you really want?"