Chapter 5

"Did Floch say what he wanted the sword for?" Levi asked you over breakfast the next morning.

"No."

Levi nodded, then took a sip of his tea. "I'm not saying I'm in favor of this plan, but I think we should gather all the information before deciding. What he wants the sword for, and what kind of demon he thinks he can get you turned into. And we need to be careful. With him, there's always an ulterior motive, and it usually isn't benevolent."

You glanced at the incubus, surprised he was at least trying to keep an open mind. Perhaps he was starting to doubt whether the sword would turn him into an angel. Or maybe he was doing it for your sake, exploring options in an attempt to make you feel more comfortable. "I agree," you stated. "We can ask him the next time he shows up."

"Tch," Levi hissed. "Can't say I'm looking forward to it. Sanctimonious little shit."

You giggled. "Me neither. But...you're stronger now, right? Just in case..." You trailed off, your lighthearted mood replaced by concern.

He took another sip of his tea. "Yeah. 'M stronger," he grunted quietly, not looking at you.

Your lips pursed with worry. You didn't like the way he said that. "Well, let's just try to avoid a fight anyway," you stated. "Maybe I should handle Floch on my own. He can't use his demon powers against me –"

"No," Levi insisted, his narrowed gaze shooting to yours.

You sighed. "Alright, then." It wasn't like you could control when Floch would show up, anyway.

Since it was Saturday, you and Levi spent the next several hours cleaning and relaxing at home before going out for dinner and a movie. This time, you were seeing the next installment of an anime you'd been following – a lighthearted, action-adventure show that had made its way to the big screen. It was exactly what you needed after dealing with the gravity of yours and Levi's eternity, something fun and humorous to take your mind off weightier matters.

You were still laughing about it when you parked your car at your apartment complex and shut off the engine. Faster than you could blink, Levi was already outside and opening your door for you. His expression remained perfectly bored the entire time, as if he weren't doing something incredibly gentlemanly and cute.

"Levi!" you hissed, smiling even as you admonished him. You quickly looked around, making sure you two were alone. "What if someone saw you?"

He clicked his tongue while helping you out of the car. "Easy, brat. No one's around."

"Are you certain of that, Levi?"

You tensed, whirling to face the source of that unfortunately familiar voice. Of course, you'd been expecting Floch to show up again after your last conversation. But that didn't mean you were prepared for it – or happy about it.

In an instant, Levi had pulled you behind himself, his eyes never leaving the war demon.

Floch chuckled, leaning casually against the car across from yours as if he owned it. He probably didn't. "So, have you two lovebirds discussed my offer?"

"We have," you stated. "And we have some questions for you."

"Go on."

You swallowed – acutely aware of the pen-that-was-really-a-sword in your pocket. "What do you want the Sword of Truth for?"

Floch smirked. "Personal reasons."

"No," you insisted. "If you want us to even think about giving you the sword, you'll have to tell us exactly how you'd use it."