Place-of-Toil Part 3

Arriving back aboard the Trill-Dal, Saturn paused just long enough to tell Bakklan where he was going and to send a message back to the Jules Verne, telling Callan to bring the Ship of Space back to retrieve the scout ship. Now that he'd spent time in the buried city below, he'd be able to teleport back to it to resume his search any time he wanted, so long as he was still within the same universe. There was no need for the Trill-Dal to remain on station, putting the lives of everyone aboard at risk. He then teleported over to the Galtalista, surprising Thomas, who'd been expecting to speak to him over the scrying mirror.

     "Well?" demanded the elder wizard, glaring at him.

     Thomas hurriedly told him what they'd found in the ancient shelter. Saturn's single eye widened in surprise and rueful amusement. He'd spent the past several hours crawling through narrow, root and soil choked burrows looking for clues, getting his hands dirty like a common labourer, and meanwhile this young man and his wife, just out for an evening stroll, stumble across just what he'd been looking for!

     "Did you sense any Rossemian magic?" he asked.

     "No," replied Thomas, "but that place was ancient. There's been plenty of time for the traces to fade."

     "Well, let's go have a look."

     Thomas nodded, and the three wizards went back up on deck.

     Half a dozen fully human looking felisians were now gathered around the scout ship looking worried, and the crew were standing nervously around the railing, their hands on their swords. One man stood by the loaded ballista, clearly hoping he wouldn't have to use it.

     Thomas quickly explained the precautions he'd taken to keep the felisians from knowing what they'd found. Saturn nodded with approval. "Probably an unnecessary precaution," he said, "but it was well done nevertheless. You can never be too careful."

     The rope ladder was lowered, and the three wizards descended to the ground, where the felisians gathered around. "Master Saturn!" said an elder who was now looking quite frightened. "We had no idea you were aboard. Please tell us if there is anything wrong..."

     "Just out for a stroll," the old wizard snapped irritably, making the felisians fall back in alarm. Two younger felisians put themselves protectively in front of the elder, although the fear on their faces told Thomas that they knew they would only share his fate if the wizard attacked.

     "Go home," Saturn commanded. "We merely wish to see the sights of your beautiful city."

     "We can arrange a guide to show you the best..."

     "Go!" shouted Saturn, and the felisians scattered, regrouping a few yards away to watch miserably as the three wizards marched away.

☆☆☆

     They were halfway to the crater when Captain Strong joined them, having emerged from the guest house to see what was going on. Now he demanded an explanation and Thomas repeated what he'd told Saturn.

     The Captain glared furiously at him. "Why was I not told?" he demanded. "I made it quite clear that I was to be informed of all developments."

     Thomas quailed under his anger, but Lirenna came to his defence. "We had to inform Saturn before the felisians became aware of what we were doing. If we'd come to you first, they might have overheard our conversation and they might have had a chance to interfere with the site before we had a chance to examine it properly."

     Strong glared at her suspiciously. "Very reasonable, very plausible," he stated. "It would probably stand up in a court of enquiry. Congratulations."