chapter one.

An old fashioned car drove through a seemingly deserted road surrounded by a colorful forrest.

Morticia and Gomez Addams sang a romantic song together in the car, their son Wednesday being forced to watch since he was sitting across from them. Pugsley was sitting in the front with their driver, Lurch, rolling his eyes at them.

Wednesday watched his parents in disgust as they kissed, causing them to pull away.

"Darling, how long do you intend on giving us the cold shoulder?" Morticia pouted.

Wednesday looked over his shoulder at Lurch. "Lurch, please remind my parents that I'm no longer speaking to them."

Lurch grunted in response.

"I promise you, my little viper, you will love Nevermore," Gomez assured his son, turning to his wife. "Won't he, Tish?"

"Of course, he will. It's the perfect school for him."

"Why? Because it was the perfect school for you?" Wednesday asked. "I have no interest in following in your footsteps. Becoming captain of the fencing team, President of the Séance Society."

"I merely meant that, finally, you will be among peers who understand you. Maybe you'll even make some friends," Morticia smiled excitedly.

"Nevermore is like no other boarding school. It's a magical place. It's where I met your mother. And we fell in love," Gomez said, staring at Morticia longingly.

"You guys are making me nauseous," Wednesday said, stopping them from leaning into a kiss. "And not in a good way."

"Darling, we aren't the ones who got you expelled. That boy's family was going to file attempted murder charges. How would that have looked on your record?" Morticia said calmly, as if it was nothing out of the ordinary.

Which it was not. For them, at least.

"Terrible," Wednesday admitted. "Everyone would know I failed to get the job done."

•••

Wednesday sat between his parents in front of Larissa Weems, principal of Nevermore Academy.

"Wednesday certainly is a unique name. I'm guessing it was the day of the week you were born?" Weems asked the boy.

"I was born on Friday the thirteenth," Wednesday informed, uninterested.

Morticia chimed in. "His name comes from a line from my favorite nursery rhyme, 'Wednesday's child is full of woe.'"

"You always had a unique perspective on the world, Morticia," Weems then turned to Wednesday. "Did your mother tell you that we were roommates back in the day?"

"And you graduated with your sanity intact? Impressive," Wednesday complimented.

Morticia frowned.

Weems changed the subject. "You've certainly had a very interesting educational journey. Eight schools in five years."

"They haven't built one strong enough to hold me. I bet this place won't be any different."