chapter two.

Wednesday was sitting in the nurse's office, a woman sticking a bandaid on his forehead whilst
( Y/n ) watched and waited.

"You're Wednesday, right?" A boy asked as a lady took his blood pressure. "Rowan," he introduced. "I know how you feel."

"I guarantee you don't," Wednesday attempted to shut his conversation starter down.

Rowan continued anyway. "My mother promised me I'd finally fit in somewhere. I never thought it was possible to be an outcast in a school full of outcasts. It looks like you're gonna give me a run for my money," Rowan joked.

( Y/n ) cringed, something about him making her uncomfortable.

"Sorry about the nick."

"No good deed goes unpunished," Wednesday said, grabbing ( Y/n )'s hand and leading her out of the infirmary.

He moved his bangs in front of his cut so no one would see, and opened up his umbrella once he and ( Y/n ) got outside, rain heavily pouring.

He pulled the girl by her waist under the umbrella, and kept his hold on her as they walked.

A gargoyle at the top of the roof began to shift, hurdling towards the ground right above ( Y/n ) and Wednesday.

The boy looked unfazed, as usual. He went to pull
( Y/n ) to the side, away from danger. Before he could, another force clashed with ( Y/n ), making her collapse, knock her head on the concrete, and fall unconscious.

The fuming Wednesday was met with the image of Xavier Thorpe on top of ( Y/n ).

"What did you do, you imbecile?" Wednesday growled, walking quickly towards the two and taking ( Y/n ) in his arms.

Xavier became frightened. "I-I tackled her out of the way..."

Wednesday carried ( Y/n ) back to the infirmary, smoke practically coming out of his ears. "I had it under control. You think I can't protect her? Now look at what you've done."

He did not know why he was acting this way, why he was so protective over her, or why he felt the need to be around her all the time to defend her. But what he did know was that some sort of emotional connection to her was not what he wanted...

For the time being.

The last thing he needed was someone making him want to stay at Nevermore.

•••

"Look! See? She's opening her eyes. Admit it, I saved her and you don't like me because of it."

A voice said from beside ( Y/n ).

"You did everything but save her. You risked her safety like the complete fool that you are. You're lucky that she's not injured."

Another voice argued.

"Better than being crushed by a stone gargoyle."

"I told you, I had it under control-"

"A 'thank you' would be nice."

"What should I be thanking you for? Pushing her out of the way and almost giving her a concussion in the process? When I was already pulling her to safety?"

( Y/n ) rolled onto her back and groaned, a massive headache engulfing her.

She was sick of hearing the two unknown voices bickering. They suddenly stopped, noting that she could hear them since she was awake.