chapter two.

"YOUR WEDNESDAY, right?" Rowan asked, sitting across from ( Y/n ) and Wednesday as he got his blood pressure taken by one of the nurses.

After a nurse had placed a bandaid directly on his cut, Wednesday turned around to face Rowan.

"Rowan," the boy introduced himself. "I know how you feel."

"I guarantee you don't," Wednesday replied, obviously upset after his loss to Bianca.

"My mother promised me I'd finally fit in somewhere," Rowan took a deep breath out of anger. "I never thought it was possible to be an outcast in a school full of outcasts. But it looks like you're going to give me a run for my money," Rowan joked.

Neither ( Y/n ) nor Wednesday laughed.

"Sorry about the nick."

"No good deed goes unpunished," Wednesday replied, grabbing ( Y/n )'s hand and leaving.

The two walked out of the infirmary to see rain pouring down heavily. Wednesday took his umbrella, opened it, and quickly pulled ( Y/n ) under it by her waist.

When they got closer to getting back inside, they heard shuffling from the roof. It was a statue that began falling at a rapid pace towards them.

Wednesday stepped out of the way, bringing ( Y/n ) with him, but she was yanked out of his hold by someone tackling her out of the way.

Wednesday turned around, evidently angry at whoever took her from him, and was met with the sight of Xavier Thorpe towering over an unconscious ( Y/n ) on the wet concrete.

"What did you do?" Wednesday growled.

Xavier turned around with a frightened expression. "I—I tackled her out of the way..."

Wednesday's jaw clenched. "I had it under control. You think I can't protect her? Now look at what you've done."

The boy immediately dropped his umbrella, taking ( Y/n ) in his hands and rushing to the direction of the infirmary.

"WELCOME BACK," was the first thing the girl heard when she had finally opened her eyes.

( Y/n ) looked in the direction of the voice and saw Xavier sitting on the left side of her bed.

"The nurse said you don't have a concussion but you probably have a nasty bump," Wednesday butted in, not wanting to see ( Y/n ) staring at Xavier any longer.

( Y/n ) looked at Wednesday, who was sitting on the right side of her bed. "What happened?"

"Genius, over there, was guided by latent chivalry, the tool of the patriarchy, to extract your undying gratitude. He tackled you out of the way of the statue after being angered by the fact that I could protect you better than he."

Xavier shook his head. "Do you seriously not remember me?"

Wednesday scoffed. "Should I?"

"Guess not. Last time we met, I was about two feet shorter and forty pounds heavier."

"What happened?" Wednesday asked curiously.

Xavier exhaled. "Puberty, I guess."

( Y/n ) giggled loudly, making Xavier smile.

Wednesday's nostrils flared. "I meant what happened the last time we met."

"Oh. It was my godmother's funeral. Apparently, she was friends with your grandmother, and they spent their twenties together in Europe, swindling the rich and notoriously. I don't know, but, we were ten, and we were bored; decided to play hide and seek. I had the inspired idea to hide in her casket. I got stuck as it was headed to the crematorium."