。memory 。

****MONDAY MORNING****

It's hard being a teenager, even harder being a teenage greaser. All the adults in town suspect you are a troublemaking rascal, which isn't completely true. Most people my age aren't very well behaved, I am a goody two shoes compared to them.

The middle age man at the register gives me a dirty look, I was at the book store finding some novels I wanted to bring with me to New York.

"Um, Is something wrong sir?" I ask politely, I honestly don't really care if there is.

He shakes his head and goes back to reading the newspaper looking up every so often to make sure I haven't stolen anything.
***
I walk to the Curtis house a little afternoon, expecting there to be loud laughing and boys rolling on the carpet. I was surprised when I saw Soda sitting on the couch alone flipping through a photo album.

"Hey," I say quietly, I slide onto the couch next to him and peer into the book. A giggle escapes my lips as I look at a picture of me and Soda before my 8th grade formal.
FLASHBACK

I smoothed out my Lilac dress with a full skirt and capped sleeves. The dress reached slightly above my knees. I was standing in the living room getting pictures taken of me before my Eighth grade dance. Soda and Steve were watching intently from a corner. Steve being my fifteen year old brother was both uninterested but protective, Soda however had a very content look on his face.

My mother was tearing up, she hugged me and kissed my head.

"Have fun, I love you." I waited nearly another fifteen minutes for my date. a single tear ran down my face.

"That asshole." Soda yelled. I forced a smile and walked to my bedroom. I sat on my bed and stared at the wall. I heard my door open.

"He is a jerk, kace. You're too good for him, I'll take you." I turn around and see Soda leaning on the door frame.

"You don't have to do that." I felt butterflies in my stomach. I walked over to my mirror and reapplied the makeup that was washed off.

"You don't need that stuff on your face." he sat on my bed. "I'm taking you whether you like it or not." I laughed and sat down next to him. I punched him playfully and we went back in the living room. We took one last picture where Soda had his arm around my waist. We walked all the way to school and headed to the gymnasium. Heads turned to me and Soda dancing and laughing, lots of girls were jealous. I didn't think of it as a romantic thing at the time, just a friendly thing. That was of course until he kissed me. We were leaving the dance and my parents were parked outside the school.

"I had a lot of fun Sodapop."

"Me too." he put his hands on my shoulders and kissed my lips. He had to bend down because of our height difference. He walked on down the road with his thumbs hitched in his pockets.

Those stupid butterflies again.

"Do you remember that?" He asks with a slight smirk on his face,

"How could I forget! That was my first kiss." I smile and lean my head on his shoulder.

"Kacey, you know things will never be that easy again." His smile fades "Kissing you was the easiest decision I ever made."

"Maybe the difficult things will be what keeps us together."