Settings And Names PT.2

Greetings again,

I have talked about this topic before but in this chapter what I have to say (rather rant about) will differ from the previous one.

See, I am not throwing shade at anyone but this is something that has just become my pet peeve after staying and roaming around in the BL fandom for fan fictions, especially the Thai BL ones.

I have seen Filo authors, usually Twitter au authors— because that's where I am easily active besides Wattpad— give Thai (BL) artists/actors/actresses Filo names.

Like okay, we can consider one but all?

If it is a crack fic, okay, do it, because crack fics are there to make you laugh.

Alongside me, many other Desi authors have pulled this, giving members of 방탄소년단 or simply known as BTS Desi names.

But that was only limited until the said crack fic.

I still remember going in for I'm Only Yours and keeping it strictly in mind that the setting is Korea, the characters are Korean, hence the names should also be resembling the setting.

Point is, if you are making a fan fiction which is NOT a crack fic and has artists from another country who also happen to exist in this universe (for example TayNew or OffGun) then keep in mind their ethnicity, their origin.

If you want to pull something like that then make these characters of yours half of the nationality what you want them to be and half of what they originate from.

For example, in 21 Last Wishes, the characters and half brothers Earth and Bright are half American and half Thai.

Which is actually Bright's origin but with Earth we can pull it since his nationality, his origin isn't totally altered and my work got done.

And doing this half and half thing you can also alter the name of the said artist for your fan fiction if you want.

Trust me, it will look way better (and professional).

*

What pisses me off more that I guess said authors keep the setting Thai...

Like pick one, either keep them Thai or the nationality/ethnicity you want them to be.

One of the best examples of NOT fucking up at this is Babysitting The Vihokratanas.

The author is Filo (as their location says) but they (I don't know their pronouns) did not do such thing like using a Filo name unnecessarily.

The characters' names were Thai, the book was situated in Thailand, (set) locations were in Thailand, school had a Thai name.

The author did their research and even if made up they made it sound and feel like that yes it is something that is of Thai setting and for that I praise them so much!

So if anyone is reading this and is thinking of making a fan fiction which involves artists from a different ethnicity, then this chapter is for you.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

PS: Whenever I see authors pulling this, I leave the work immediately.