Introduction

OUTBREAK DAY
September 26th, 2003

It was a cold morning in the city of Manhattan. Large, darkened clouds loomed over the bustling city like a thick layer of smoke, rain hitting the windows of the car like tiny bullets on a mission to ruin Francesca's dampened mood.

The move to New York had been quick, all happening within a month of the family finding out about her father's promotion, in which, he got the privilege of travelling the world and taking his family. New York was a far cry from the beautiful Amalfi coast Francesca had grown up with, the trees replaced with concrete towers, and the warm summer heat replaced by the uncomfortable humidity mixed with the distinct smell of the subway air.

"Voi ragazze stasera starete bene a prendere la metropolitana?" Their mother asks them, looking over her shoulder as they are once again stuck in the neverending traffic that plagued the streets of the metropolis.

"Yes, mamma, we're not little girls anymore," Giulia, Francesca's sister answered for the two of them. The two may have been twins, but they could not be further from opposites. Giulia was loud and outspoken, confident in everything she did. Everyone avoided arguments with her, knowing even if she was wrong, she could somehow convince you she was right in her conviction alone. Francesca was apprehensive and quiet, she was new to the land of the free, and was not exactly pleased.

"Giulia, per favore prenditi cura di tua sorella a scuola. Sai che è difficile per lei." Her mother continues, making Giulia roll her eyes. She'd always been her sister's protector, but it hadn't been easy the last couple of weeks. Francesca showed no interest in partaking in the world of American education, and no matter how much Giulia tried to get her involved, nothing would sway the girls decision to hate the new city.

"It would help if she tried to fit in," Giulia spoke up then, sending her sister a disapproving look that Francesca ignored by looking down. She never liked to let her sister down, but she was shy at the best of times - add a different country, a second language and a whole new social hierarchy that came along with high school and you'd be lucky to hear her speak.

"Gli americani sono stupidi. Pensano che tutti possano parlare un inglese perfett," Francesca mumbles as she picks at her nails, "Parlo italiano, mi odiano. Parlo inglese, pensano che io sia stupido. Non posso vincere."

"Your English is getting better, la mia gioia, you have to keep trying!" Her mother told her, beginning to drive once again, the high school getting closer and closer.

Francesca simply rolled her eyes as her sister elbowed her, both sending each other a glare.

-

"Thank you for joining me today Miss Romano."

Francesca had been enjoying her free period at the end of the school day when she got called into the principal's office. She'd only met the man once, and that was when he toured her and her sister around the school, promising them a safe learning environment where they would grow into young adults. Fran hadn't exactly believed him.

"You're probably wondering why I have asked for you to come into my office today," He continues, looking through the papers on his desk as Fran stared at her hands, picking at her nails out of nervous habit, "We need to have a serious chat about your future, looking at your credits here, you don't have enough to graduate with the rest of your classmates next year."