SEVENTEEN

Chapter Seventeen
Communism

Fran had never been on a horse, it wasn't as magical as she'd assumed it would be. She was stuck behind Ellie, hand's close to her chest as they moved in a group. Joel had been given his own horse to ride on, his face stoic as they rode up to the compound that the people had originally come from.

The compound looked like it's own little QZ on the outside, but instead of thick concrete, the gate was made out of wood. It was tall and intimidating as they made their way towards it, one of the people raising a flag to get them to open it up.

When the gate was open, Fran couldn't help the confused and shocked feeling she felt coursing through her.

People. So many people.

They made their way inside slowly, Fran seeing a group of kids making snowmen - all giggling as they did it. Their parents close-by to keep an eye on them. At the sight of the newcomers, all eyes were on them.

All the eyes made Fran shrink in on herself, looking forward to Joel who had stopped his own horse; eyes on a man in the distance.

"Tommy!" The man in question turned at the sound of his name, Fran watching as Joel got off his horse, rushing towards his brother.

She watched them embrace eachother tightly, her heart sinking slightly in her chest at the sight. While she was happy for him, truly happy that Tommy was okay and that the brothers were reunited, she couldn't help the envy from simmering in her chest.

She'd never have that with her own sister.

Her sister was dead.

She heard the two laugh, unaware of Ellie who had looked at her. The look on Fran's face was enough to let Ellie know she felt similar.

Tommy was then looking from Joel, to the two people on the horse staring right at him. He muttered something that they couldn't hear from the distance; and Joel was turning to them quickly, gesturing for them to come over.

Ellie got down off of the horse first, Fran following in her steps as someone took the horse from them, moving them towards the stables. She felt awkward approaching Tommy; they'd been looking for him for so long that seeing him in the flesh didn't feel real.

"I'm Ellie," Ellie was quick to introduce herself, looking to Fran to do the same.

Fran sent him a sheepish smile, holding out her hand for him to shake, "Fran."

"Nice to meet you both," Tommy said, shaking her hand while sending Joel a look. It was clear he was confused on why the two were there with his brother, but he wasn't about to voice it, "are y'all hungry?"

"Starving," Ellie cut in before Joel could shake his head, trying to appear more put together than he actually was.

Tommy led them then to the building set out for eating, calling it the cafeteria as he entered. It was a nice building, very warm inside. The fairy lights hung around were also a nice touch. They were given a glass of water each as well as a plate of food, and sat in front of Tommy, who had been joined by a woman named Maria.

While the three probably should've been kind and started conversation, the need for a full meal was a lot stronger. Joel and Ellie quickly got to eating, needing it way more than they realised. Fran was slower with her food, enjoying having some fresh water in between bites.