NINETEEN

Chapter Nineteen
The Contractorrrr

When Ellie woke up the next morning, there was a deep heaviness in her heart. She knew that it was the day she left Joel for good, the day that their little journey came to an end. A horrible ending to a horrible journey.

What she didn't expect, when going room to room, was Fran to not be there. She knew that Fran and Joel had some kind of deep connection to each other, wether they ever wanted to admit it or not, but it hurt to know that she had chosen Joel over her. The woman who had promised Ellie the world had also taken it away within a minute.

She didn't know what was harder, the fact that they weren't coming, or the fact neither had plucked up the courage to come and say goodbye. Did she mean that little to them?

The wait for Tommy to come by was hell, every small crack or noise that the house made had Ellie up on her feet and checking the front door, Fran never appearing like Ellie so desperately wanted her to.

The last time Ellie had seen the woman, she was storming out of the house after Maria had so carelessly told them about Joel's daughter.

I sure as hell ain't your dad.

She couldn't say for certain that the words from Joel didn't affect her. She knew that he wasn't her dad, she'd told him herself that she wasn't like his daughter, but it was different with Fran. The woman had actively taken on the role of a mother without even trying, with her, with Sam. She knew Fran had had a hard couple of months, they all had, but she didn't expect her to give up so quickly.

When her and Tommy did make it to the stables that morning, the journey spent with Ellie's eyes scanning early morning crowds in hopes she'd see the woman she wanted so badly, she wasn't expecting both Joel and Fran to be having a quiet conversation next to a horse.

From where Ellie stood she could only see Joel's face, Fran had her back to her, standing in front of Joel. She was quick to notice Joel's hand gently holding the side of Fran's waist and she knew in that moment that Fran had most likely decided.

She'd picked Joel over her.

"You came here to say goodbye or something?" Ellie's tone wasn't kind when she spoke to the two, Fran turning towards her at the sound of her voice. Joel had told her very briefly what had happened, and by briefly it was 'told Ellie Tommy was taking her, she didn't take it well.'

"No," Joel responded gruffly, moving to finish securing the saddle on the back of the horses back, "if I had it my way I would've stolen this horse and ran by now."

"I woulda gave you one," Tommy said to his brother, which while a sweet sentiment, didn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things.

"I know," Joel sniffed and looked to Fran then, who was looking at him to continue, "Anyway... that was last night, and this one cares about you a little too much to just let you go."

Ellie suddenly felt very bad for assuming the worst of Fran, sending her a small look as Fran smiled softly back to her.

"You deserve to choose," Fran said to her with a small nod, "If you trust Tommy then we'll stay-"

"I still think you'd be better off with Tommy..." Joel cut in, making Fran send him a small look to keep it quiet.

"But you have us if you want-" Fran couldn't finish her sentence.