NINE

Chapter Nine
Twenty years old Chef Boyardee

Being excited to be in a car for the first time in twenty years was not something that Fran was expecting. After almost losing front seat privilege to Ellie; that she only got back after Joel said adults had to be in the front, which caused a small argument that led Fran to lie that it was actually illegal for people below the age of eighteen to ride in the front of a car... and then a strong reminder of the rule she'd just set after Ellie claimed 'fuck that law! I'm fine!'

They were now at what used to be a gas station, collecting more gas for the car that could only run for an hour before stopping. The stop-start of it all was less than wanted, but it was nice to be able to stretch out the legs every once in a while.

Ellie had disappeared inside of the place, apparently 'looking for scraps' and leaving Fran and Joel on their own. Fran didn't really stray from Joel's side, not knowing the area or what could be there. Her eyes every once in a while glanced to the entrance of the small shop; debating if she should go in and check if the young girl was okay.

"Why were you with Marlene?" Joel's voice cut her out of her inner debate, making her turn to look down at where he was crouched next to a car. He wasn't looking at her, focused on the task at hand.

"What?" She asked, a little confused by the question, Boston felt like months ago, rather than a couple of days ago. Marlene not even coming to mind over those days.

"In Boston," Joel says to her then, "you a firefly?"

"Do I look like the type?" She asked him in return, making him look her up and down slowly, the mere action making her fidget, before shaking his head, "exactly."

"So why were you there?" He asks her his first question again.

"For Ellie," Fran says with a small shrug, "I owed Marlene after she helped me out of a bad situation, she needed someone to check on her, someone for her to trust. Knew I liked kids, so..." she trailed off at that, looking down at the floor at her feet.

Joel stayed silent at that, moving onto the next car. Fran watched him with her eyes, deciding to carry on the limited conversation, "Never thought it'd lead to all this, though."

Joel didn't carry on any conversation after that, not seeing the point, and Fran sighed, staring at him for a moment before standing up.

"Here," she stopped him, going to grab the tube off of him, but his grip on it stopping her, a small game of tug of war happening, "I'm showing you something, let go."

He let go after a moment, watching as she pulled the tube out of the tank, and wiped it on her leg. The inside of the tube was covered in moss, barely any gas able to get through. She grabbed a stick off the floor, poking it in and getting out the moss and putting it back in the car.

"No gas was coming through," she says to him, "or only little drops. That and-" she stopped, grabbing the gas can, "elevate this, it will fill faster."

While not completely up for taking her advice, still remembering the whole Cumberland sausage or place debate, he listened, and watched as the gas began to fill quicker.

"How'd you know all that?" He asked her gruffly, before blowing into the tube.

"How do I know how to unclog a tube and how basic gravity works?" She asks him, making him roll his eyes, and with that, Ellie appears from the building, walking over. Fran sends her a smile, which Ellie quickly reciprocates.