1 | Less Alone

(Author's note: Hi I really like endacopia so I wanted to write something featuring the protagonist of the game. If you can, please support AndyLand, the creator of the game on Kickstarter! He's a sweet guy and makes a lot of cool stuff 😊)

---

It was another day in this dreadful house.

Mellow looked over to see the clock that rested on the wall, as always staring down on whoever dared to look up at it, to the left of it being a calendar for the year 2002. Underneath it to the right of said clock was a fleshy coin-loving creature, and though Mellow didn't say much, his mind did and that thing wasn't an appetising sight for his eyes.

"Another day in this headache." he whispered to himself as he eyed his surroundings.

Typically, the plain-faced boy didn't remember what happened the day before his present, or any days prior, rather he just forgot them and left himself in an infinite loop of memory loss and confusion. However, little did his merely thoughtless mind know that remembering things like this was out of the ordinary for him. Today wasn't like the rest.

Things looked normal to Mellow as they always did, with the blindingly bright blue walls with cracks peppering them and the red matted carpet from years of walking, and his aged computer that he wasn't sure how he obtained. The soccer ball in the far left corner of the room and the spinning desk chair being two of his favorite items, since all that they did was bring him entertainment.

Walking over to the clunky PC, Mellow squinted his innocent blue eyes as he logged in, the feeling of nostalgia and familiarity overtaking him, seemingly a feeling he had never experienced prior to now. Something was familiar about this computer, he just couldn't seem to find the words for it. And so, in a fit of desperation for answers, Mellow decided he would look through the files of it.

Little did he know that decision would be one he would regret.

About four images were saved to the computer, all depicting Mellow in some way or another, one being of him thrown out of a truck and hitting his head, another being of him bashed in the head with a blunt wooden object by some large lizard-like creature, and lastly, trying to solve math about one thing that just didn't seem to sit right with him. The other was of a woman in a bikini, but Mellow didn't care much for that.

That object, that same object that lizard used to hit him in the head appeared again, paired with a count of something on a board. The chalk in his hands wrote on the chalkboard how many times he was whacked in that now-damaged head of his, and this made Mellow recall something.

Henry.

Henry, that vile beast.

He was responsible for all of Mellow's current suffering, all because he had the rights to be his legal guardian. How, Mellow didn't know. All the boy was aware of is that Henry had a play in all of this, and surely he had to find a way out of this home. If not, he'd merely just die trying.

Mellow looked up at the red framed clock and sighed to himself, "Where am I, really?"

There were memories of this house, of course, but something just felt lonely, like he couldn't understand where it was located or who else was inside it with him other than Tip and the weird oddities that surrounded him. Imagine being the only person in your home that wasn't some kind of freaky self-aware object. Except the clock, it was just a weird thing that existed in this seemingly eternal room.

In defeat to his own thoughts, Mellow wearily ambled his way to a black desk chair towards the far right corner of the room, slumping in it with a force enough to slightly swivel the chair. A metallic clanking was heard and alerted the young boy, which caused him to turn around to see a hole in the wall with a metal plate either going up or down - depending on the position of the chair's swivel.