2 | Odd Ones

"Hi, my name's Mellow, what's yours?" he asked.

The child racked their brain for an answer, maybe a sliver of information would come to them, but all they remembered was the name (Y/N). Nothing else, hell, they didn't even know what they were or where they came from. They know they just woke up here, as simple as that may be.

"I- I'm... I'm (Y/N). Hi." they responded shyly to his question.

Mellow's big blue eyes sparkled in curiosity and then, like he had never been happy before, he situated his hat and outfit as if discussing things with this "(Y/N)" would be the most exciting thing that'd happened to him. You can't necessarily blame Mellow - from what he remembered, he was alone majority of his life, and this was like finding gold in a mountain full of pyrite. 

"(Y/N)... That is a nice name, you know. At least it's normal compared to everything else around us." Mellow shrugged.

"It's all I remember."

"Oh, you too, huh. Let me guess - any time you try to remember things, it's like TV static?"

(Y/N) sighed defeatedly, "Well, there's no other way to word it, so, I guess yeah?"

Mellow hummed in thought, his white hands on his chin as he thought deeply about (Y/N)'s responses, though they were rather lacking if he did say so himself. All Mellow wanted to know was why there was now a pattern of early teenagers from thirteen to fifteen being caught up and having no real memory of the outside world nor of themselves, that being a very easy thing to remember.

"Let me see, do you know anything about what you like? Anything about your family? Something...?" he whispered, hoping that maybe if (Y/N) had an answer, maybe he could remember things about his original life as well.

Unfortunately, to both parties, (Y/N) stayed silent. No response.

"Well, you don't have to answer. Just stay here and stay out of trouble with Henry, okay? Don't stare at that clock too long either. Its black eyes stare right back at you."

(Y/N) sighed and as Mellow moved on to a notepad on the floor it seemed he just doodled on, they brought their knees up to their chest and just sat in their spot, emotionless, cold, and certainly afraid. They weren't scared of Mellow in a sense, but were wary of him considering he was a stranger that only suddenly came to the rescue. What if he was linked with Henry in some kind of way? They weren't sure. All they worried about was staying away from any imminent danger.

In an attempt to calm their thoughts, (Y/N) stared at Mellow drawing, and it seemed he was just drawing the room. Like a map, almost, but perhaps that's all he could draw. There wasn't anything in this house, no food, no water, and no people if Henry doesn't count. He seemed so focused, maybe that's what was all that could keep him happy, but (Y/N) was satisfied to see that he was only a lot like them, though just a little bit more sassy and upfront.

(Y/N) jumped a bit when they realized Mellow was looking back at them, taking it as they were annoying him, but instead, he was just curious. Curious to pay more attention to their features. He looked back down at the paper and started to draw a figure with (h/l) hair and a plain expression, drawing the individual with the best of his ability. It seemed he was eager to add someone new to his life, used to being alone and this being a moment worth indulging in. Having a new friend.

He then looked over at (Y/N), sitting up where they could look at the sheet of paper on his hands up close. It seemed to have the walls, the floor, the desk, the extra decor on the walls, the chair, the clock, the soccer ball, the coin monster on the wall, the door, a sign with a face, and then Mellow and (Y/N). It was honestly adorable to look at, but (Y/N) didn't consider Mellow their friend. Rather just someone they know, like an acquaintance, considering they met only a few couple minutes ago. 

"That's what you look like." Mellow smiled.

(Y/N) nodded, and when Mellow pulled the drawing back to save it, they went back to being deep in thought about this whole world. This wasn't natural, to what they could remember. A clock watching your every move? A monster that eats coins? A giant, partially blind lizard beast that has one of the worst tempers (Y/N) had ever seen? Plus, with multiple child abuse charges on him? Yeah, something was off about this entire situation. They didn't even know what Mellow was supposed to be. 

And when things couldn't seem to get weirder, a sign had popped up out of the ground and looked at Mellow and his artwork, appearing to be the same sign that Mellow had drawn on the note. He looked to have drawn on face with a sheet of paper tacked to his head, the drawing changing corresponding to his emotions. It seemed that this was another one of those creatures that had a bad attitude. Again.

"Kid! And... Weirdo in the corner," the sign whispered, "who's that...?!"

"(Y/N). I found them downstairs and saved them from Henry. They're not dangerous, Tip." Mellow responded straightforwardly, returning to drawing.

The sign, Tip, looked at (Y/N) with skepticism, which resulted in (Y/N) assuming this was Mellow's friend of some sorts considering how defensive he was over him. Well, fair enough, what friend wouldn't be protective over their bud in a world like this? It's like a "how fast can you die" challenge living in this house.

"Keep your hands off Mellow." Tip frowned, looking at (Y/N) with pure disdain.

The sign "stood" in front of Mellow as he continued to doodle, blocking (Y/N)'s view of the art progress. It was... Insulting to them, to say the least. (Y/N) was sure they weren't any kind of evil threatening monster like Henry was, they were just a lonely kid who wanted to get back home unscathed or not. They weren't even sure if they had a home, it was just a mere hope that they had parents and something to go back to. Even if they didn't, an escape from this Alice In Wonderland world would be more than enough.

Mellow looked up from his drawing and set the pen down on the floor, "What, you think they'll hurt me? Trust me, Tip, (Y/N) is more scared of me than I am of them. They threw a tantrum trying to escape Henry. And that did nothing."

"Those were those screams that woke me up?! Did you HAVE to bring them here?" Tip fussed.

"W- Well, they haven't said much since they got here. Just leave them alone."

(Y/N) sighed, "Sign, whatever your name is, I'm not going to touch your Mellow. Got it? I just want to get out of here."

Tip rolled his eyes and went back in the ground, almost like a mole scurrying away for the day. It seemed what (Y/N) said was enough to silence his rant, but not for long. He would soon be back like anyone else to check up on Mellow, considering it looked more official now that the two could be friends. At least Mellow did have a friend, (Y/N) had no intentions on staying here at all.

"That's just Tip. Angry, but can be a good guy if you get to know him. The day I woke up here, he was the same way he was with you, but now that we know each other somewhat, it seems he likes my company, I guess." Mellow nonchalantly said.

"You're friends with a lawn sign."

"C'mon, he's the only somewhat normal thing here."