4 | Protect You

(Y/N) woke up before Mellow did, rubbing their eyes tiredly with (s/c) hands, and frizzy hair from moving in their sleep. Their shirt was wrinkled and they had obvious bags underneath their eyes — to be expected after sleeping so deeply. Their eyes met those same brightly pigmented blue walls that Mellow saw yesterday when waking up, and they thought to themselves that if they didn't escape, they and Mellow would succumb to the fate of being trapped here for a potential eternity.

Speaking of Mellow, their eyes peered over to his sleeping body in the middle of the room, and for a moment, their heart skipped a beat, thinking he'd died somehow, by what, they didn't know, they just hoped that he was okay, adrenaline causing them to forget the fact that he was only sleeping. So, in fear of him being harmed, (Y/N) sat up quickly and rushed over to his spot, shaking him like it was the end of the world to them.

His baby-blue eyes shot open and looked directly at (Y/N), his hat barely on his head and disheveled, with his breathing being fast-paced and his typically calm behavior disturbed.

When Mellow realized it was (Y/N), he finally had calmed down, but then when the fact that it was (Y/N) sunk in, he tilted his head to the side and looked at them with a perplexed, muddled expression, wondering why they were so terror-struck and shaking him as if something had harmed them.

"(Y/N)...?! What is it?" he asked softly, but still with a tone of mild frustration and fear.

(Y/N) breathed a sigh of relief, "Oh, thank goodness you're okay. I thought something happened to you — I didn't know you were sleep..." they giggled awkwardly.

Of course, this wasn't out of the ordinary for him, but Mellow stared blankly, as if he was entirely vacant inside, but it was all because he was bewildered at the fact that (Y/N) cared about him that much that they'd just leap up out of their sleep to make sure he was okay.

Mellow fixed his red cap and straightened the collar on his blue button-up, smiling a bit as he looked away from (Y/N), who was still trying to process the fact that he was in fact not harmed by any malevolent entity from around them. He seemed to like that someone cared about him, since with a faded and fuzzy memory, how could you ever remember anyone who cared about you? Everyone other than (Y/N) to what he could remember was only harmful to him.

"Yeah. I'm fine, though." he laughed a bit.

"Aw, come on! You scared me! Well, now that I know you were basically just sleep, I won't do that again unless I have to, Mellow."

Mellow smiled again, and this was the most he'd ever smiled the entire time he'd been locked away in this house by whoever subjected him to it. It felt natural to have (Y/N) around, and to him, they were a friend needed. (Y/N), by all means, was adored by Mellow, even if he didn't express it well, as if it weren't for them, he would be alone. By himself. No one to talk to.

"So, we're going to put that plan into action today, I'm assuming. If yes, let's just be safe." (Y/N) calmly, though apprehensively said with a gentle tone.

Mellow gently agreed. Perhaps today would be the very day that they could escape off into whatever was outside and as a team, since things were always easier with a little bit of company by your side. (Y/N) was the only person Mellow could ever ask for to be the one to accompany him on an escape plan, as to him, they were smart, they were fun, and they were kind. Kind to stick around with him and not betray him for their own needs.

"Honestly, before we go through with the plan, I think we should check that hallway just one more time. Don't you think? Maybe you missed something, I'm not sure." (Y/N) hummed, furrowing their brows at the white door behind them.

The blue-eyed boy took their idea into consideration, "That's possible."

(Y/N) and Mellow approached the door together, side-by-side and walking slowly up to it, unsure of what possibly could happen. The (h/c)-haired teen had a sickened feeling in their stomach, as if they'd been poisoned, or they had eaten something wrong, and it was none other than anxiety being the culprit. It was fair to say that this house had an odd atmosphere, but not enough to cause outright anxiety like this.