The strangeness must exist

Compared to the noisy drinkers and hustling waiters' shouting, the cracking sound of the burning woods was hardly noticeable. You curled in the exact same spot occupied since afternoon, and read the last chapter of the same storybook. You had no idea whether the knight would come today or not, but you had made up your mind to linger in the dining hall for a couple of days until running into her.

"Hi, Y/N." A calm voice pulled you back to reality, you looked up from the book, no, their face wasn't there, you kept stretching your neck until your eyes met Brienne's blue ones. The person you thought of and talked about with your friend was right in front of you with all her glories. Biting down the inner side of your mouth, you smiled at her.

"Hey, Brienne." She was like walking out of your dream, you stared at her blankly.

A side of her lips tugged up, and she gestured toward the seat beside you, silently asking. You nearly jumped, quickly put down the storybook, and nodded. It was real, she was real, not just your silly daydream, your heart screamed for it.

"Please have a seat, want to drink something? I'll buy it." You tried to make yourself sound more confident, but the truth was you were as nervous as hell. It was hard not to be before her, you convinced yourself.

"Some ale would do, and I'll pay for it myself." She said sternly and sat down before taking off her cloak, revealing clean garments below.

You waved your hand to her while looking around for Alina. "Nonsense, I can get you a free one, so why bother paying?"

She cocked a brow playfully. "For the hard work of the waitress?" You giggled, and she smiled along with you.

Looking around, you soon found Alina next to a table, talking to some regular customer, and you raised a hand to beckon her. She noticed, approaching you with a big smile.

"Wanna get another refill, Y/N? Be careful, you might get drunk." She teased and grabbed your mug. You rested a hand on hers to stop her, nodding your chin toward Brienne.

"Ser Brienne of Tarth is here, get her something, would you?" The girl's eyes widened as they snapped to the tall woman, greeted by the towering woman with a curt nod.

"Ser! I didn't notice you were here! I'll fetch you a cup of ale, be right back!" Dropping the lines, she quickly sneaked through tables and drinkers, disappearing behind the bar at the far end of the room.

Both of you watched the waitress's nimble movement before Brienne darted her eyes back to you.

"So you knew it." She paused, looking at your confused face, "That I am a knight." She supplemented it.

Nodding, you were more confused, "Yes? I asked Alina about you the night we met. And your clothes, the worn parts of them are the same as the soldiers'." Your cheeks turned a bit red, embarrassed about digging your nose into her personal life.

Brienne stared at you, eyes big and pointed, brows narrowed, frowning together.

You looked at her carefully, getting more and more nervous as she silently examined you. The time ticked passing, it felt like three hours for you. Finally, you mumbled gingerly in a volume that only a mosquito could hear, "Is there anything wrong?"

"No." She spoke, keeping eye contact with you, and her blue eyes made your body feel warm, you bit down your bottom lips. "Don't you think it's odd? A female knight."

"Absolutely no!" You cried out loudly, the men sitting at the nearby table all snapped their heads to you, and Brienne's eyes widened in surprise. You looked around, smiling apologetically at the other drinkers, they groaned and mumbled something before turning back to their tables.