He's gone

(Don't mind the baby shark, it's just the song we used to sing to him.)

R.I.P.

(I covered my family name)

Zeus passed away on February 27th, 2023 at 6:02 PM. We were hoping we'd have a couple of days with him before he left, but he was only home a few hours before we decided to take him back to the vet and have him put to sleep. He was suffering, barely even responsive. His heart was pounding so hard you could see it and his breathing went from being deep to very shallow and fast.

After we had a few hours we decided it was best to just put him to sleep so he can be at peace instead of being selfish and keeping him around just to make ourselves feel better.

When we were waiting in the comfort room for the doctor who would put him down, my dad held his head up for him since he didn't even have enough strength to do it himself and we all cuddled around him right where he could see all our faces. He looked so tired but comforted. I'm pretty sure he was mainly holding on for us at that point. We could see in his eyes that he was ready to go, but whenever he would start to slip he would jerk himself up into a sitting position and look at us. Like he was trying to stay awake. Like he was trying to stay.

And after he passed we got to be with his body for a while. When it was my turn to cuddle with him, I remember thinking "don't put too much weight on him, he doesn't like that. I don't want to hurt him"... but then I remembered that he was gone. I also hated seeing him go limp, especially when my dad was adjusting him and taking off his collar. His body was lifeless... he wasn't supposed to leave this soon. He was supposed to live another 5 years at least, he was healthy!

I have only seen my father cry maybe once before when my papa died. And even then at least in front of me, it was silent crying. But when Zeus died, my dad's entire head turned pink and he was sobbing, he was so loud they could probably hear him across the building. Tho I can't say anything cuz I was just as bad.

 Tho I can't say anything cuz I was just as bad

Got his paw print. There's even a bunch of his little hairs in there. I'm never opening it. I always had a thing for his paws. The only trick I ever taught him was "give me a paw". And as he passed I held his paw. I just hope I brought him comfort.