Chapter 5 - My light

Author's Note: So, uh, I opened the last one of these with the quip, Time for the annual chapter of "A Light in the Dark!"

Well as it turns out, I can't even manage an annual release schedule! Back then, I was in a phase where I'd have the inspiration to write every now and then, and eventually, I stopped having that. I was just doing other stuff.

But guess what! The inspiration's back!

So here I am, updating this story a whole two years later. If, by some miracle, there are still people waiting for updates, thanks for sticking around! If you're binging the whole story and you didn't have to wait for this chapter, disregard everything I said! Sorry for interrupting the story with my selfish rambling.

Now, since I last wrote, our main girl Kai'Sa has been getting on with her life and she's gotten involved with a couple of other things. Namely, Taliyah and Bel'Veth. I want this story to be compatible with the official cannon, so I'll be tying this into all that stuff in the future.

However, I get the feeling that we'll be seeing more of that later this year since Riot have been teasing a void-themed event for ages. For that reason, I'm gonna hold off on integrating the official lore. For now, we'll keep this story self-contained. In terms of a timeline, I think "A Light in the Dark" currently takes place after the "Warriors" cinematic, but before "The Call" and "All that will Ever Be." Later on, I'll make it clear if we're leading into either of those cinematics.

Sheesh. Sorry for the wall of text. TLDR: I'm back, thanks for waiting! Don't worry about the official universe lore, we're ignoring it for now. Now, without further adieu, Chapter 5 - My Light.

-Jack

For what seemed like hours, Kai'Sa let loose everything she thought had died within her long ago. She held Ezreal, her arms wrapped around his torso like she was holding onto life itself. With each pained sob, she felt tortured fragments emerging from the deepest recesses of her mind: echoes, memories, feelings, people. All that she thought was lost to her came rushing back in a matter of seconds.

For Ezreal's part, he'd done his fair share of comforting people over the years. He'd even developed a few tricks to ease things over, especially when he was the root of their grief. However, this time, he just held her; something within him knew that that was all he needed to do. He felt the rise and fall of her body with each breath, the pained tremor that shook her with each sob, and the loosening of her grip as she found stability. What had started as a frantic, desperate hug was slowly turning into a warm, grateful embrace.

Eventually, Kai'Sa's breathing steadied. In that moment, with long years of solitude threatening to bury her in darkness, she managed to muster, "Ezreal, I'm glad you're alright..."

For all his charisma, all his charm, all his years navigating the politics of personal relationships, this simple phrase caught Ezreal off guard. With her words, he found his witty responses caught in his throat, blocked by something unfamiliar inside him. Luckily, it seemed she didn't need a response from him, as she buried her face deeper into his torso, giving no indication that she'd be letting him go any time soon.

They stayed together for a while, allowing the emotions of the moment to wash over them.

Eventually, Kai'Sa pushed herself up onto her knees. Unsure how to proceed, her eyes nervously flitted around the tent. Smiling, Ezreal put a hand to her cheek, guiding her gaze back to him.

"I'm glad you're alright too." 

Kai'Sa put her hand to his, holding his palm against her skin, closing her eyes for just a moment. Even with her cheeks stained by purple tears and her hair tangled and matted, she was still beautiful. Ezreal was sure of that. When she opened her eyes, it seemed she'd relaxed enough for her survival instincts to start to stir.

"Where are we?" she asked, once again glancing around the tent.

"I'm not sure, but I have a feeling we're safe here," Ezreal replied. When Kai'Sa gave him an inquisitive look, he explained how he had woken up and stepped outside. He described his otherworldly encounter with the strange figure that wielded the fiery red blade.

Kai'Sa had heard mentions of the one who wielded the Nether Blade of Horok. On occasion, she may even have stumbled across his handiwork, deep in the void tunnels beneath the desert. She had often wanted to meet him, the only other person she knew of who stood against the void as she did. With the description Ezreal gave, she was reminded of her last moments of consciousness before collapsing and her recollection of that blazing red blade. To think that such a shrouded, infamous figure would be the one to save them. "The Great Weaver works in mysterious ways," thought Kai'Sa.

She smiled, saying, "In that case, we are safe. I know little about the wielder of that blade, but I am sure his only enemy is the void. However, I should imagine he'll want his tent back eventually." She pushed herself to her feet, offering Ezreal a hand up. He took it gladly, holding it for perhaps a little longer than he needed to. 

"Don't you want to wait around to meet him?" Ezreal asked.

Kai'Sa shook her head, replying, "If he wanted to talk, he'd have stayed here. The least we can do to repay him is to honour that wish." Ezreal nodded, understanding.

"In that case, I suppose we should get moving," he said, scooping up his travelling pack. As Kai'Sa rolled up the sleeping mats, Ezreal stepped outside, gazing out over those endless dunes.

"I can't imagine we're far from where I collapsed. That would put us a few hours east of the river Kahleek. We should head that way before we run out of water," Kai'Sa said as she stepped out of the tent.

With a nod, Ezreal confidently proclaimed, "Then let's head west, which is obviously this direction," pointing off into the dunes. He turned to Kai'Sa for approval. She raised an eyebrow, a slight smile creeping onto her lips. Clearing his throat, Ezreal tried again, pointing in a different direction, saying, "ah, I meant this way, of course!"

Kai'Sa laughed, shaking her head. She took his hand, pulling him in the opposite direction.

"This way, prodigal explorer," she joked with a grin.

"Ah, well obviously it's this way, I just had to test you is all!" Ezreal said hurriedly. Once again, this beaten, battered, and broken explorer had her giggling like she was a little girl again. As they set out across the desert, Kai'Sa kept Ezreals hand in hers. "Obviously to stop him from getting lost," she lied to herself.

"Oh, I guess I didn't get a chance to earlier," Ezreal said as they walked, "but I wanted to thank you, Kai."

She tilted her head slightly, looking at him. "Back there, when we were fighting those things, I was really scared. I was lost, for a minute, and I couldn't shake that fear." His eyes were distant for a moment as he recalled the fear that had gripped him. "But, you helped me to find my way out. You were my light." They had only been walking for a minute but Ezreal's cheeks were turning bright red. Despite that, he wore a smile: that genuine, warm, content smile that stirred butterflies in her stomach.

Kai'Sa turned away, unable to meet his eyes for a second. When she turned back, both the colour of her cheeks and the essence of her smile matched his perfectly.

"You're welcome, E-Ez..." she said. Ezreal gasped slightly at that, his smile somehow beaming even wider than before. 

"You called me a nickname! This has to be the best day of my life!" Ezreal proclaimed. Kai'Sa hit him lightly on the shoulder with her free hand.

"You'd better knock it off if you want that to continue," she said. Despite her harsh message, her face was covered by a similarly beaming smile. Ezreal laughed squeezing her hand slightly.

"Understood ma'am!"

As they ventured off into the desert, the air between them quickly filled with laughter and joy. And as the miles passed by, one after another, their hands never separated, not even for a second.