Chapter 4 - Father

Author's Note: Time for the annual chapter of "A Light in the Dark!"

In all seriousness, I've got an excuse this time, I've been preparing for exams and I couldnt justify spending my time writing smut. But I'm done now! SO LET THE SMUT COMMENCE!

Once again, thanks for your continued support guys, it means the world to me, and I hope you enjoy.

-Jack

This wasn't the first time Kai'Sa had carried someone through the freezing desert night. From time to time, she'd need a Shuriman guide to find newly blighted villages or freshly laid Xer'Sai burrows, even despite her own vast knowledge of the continent. In fact, this wasn't the first time she'd had to carry a mortally wounded young man to safety, either.

However, for whatever reason, Kai'Sa could feel her legs moving with greater vigour than she thought possible. When she turned her head and looked up at him, his blonde hair tussling in the wind, his mouth still slightly turned up at the corners, and his bandaged torso bare and exposed...

Kai'Sa hastily shook her head, a blush rising in her cheeks as she pushed her legs harder, marching towards the light of a settlement on the horizon. The night was long, and cold, and dark, the shadows swirling in the wind and tearing at her skin, so much so that she almost thought she'd stumbled back into the void. With each step, she felt her vision blurring with fatigue as the darkness pooled in her eyes, her body screaming for rest. But after what felt like days of determined marching, Kai'Sa felt her legs buckling beneath her. She strained her eyes, but the village seemed as far as it was the moment she started marching. With a desperate cry, she crumpled to the ground, her legs ablaze and her lungs ripped asunder.

As her last drops of strength were whisked away by the night, she was oblivious to the sound of the wind whipping around her and the sting of tears in her eyes. She couldn't hear the chattering of teeth in the darkness or feel the myriad of beady purple eyes upon her. Even the thousands of needles scratching away at her skin faded away. In fact, the only sensations that could pierce the darkness and reach her mind were the firm press of Ezreal's body against her's and the warmth of his arms around her. 

Until it stopped.

It all went silent.

The last thing Kai'Sa was aware of before she slipped into the darkness was a dark purple figure, a blazing red blade at its side.

As Ezreal felt his consciousness slowly dragging itself from the depths of sleep, he was vaguely aware of a few things. First, his torso felt stiff and achy, the muscle around his stomach noted and tight. Second, he couldn't shake a nagging sense of dread tugging at his mind, as though something terrible had happened and he'd not been there to pillage the ruin afterwards. Third, he could just about make out a faint aroma drifting through the air...

Peaches?

Ezreal pushed his eyes open, slowly, only to immediately blink at the sight before him, unsure if he was still dreaming. Her purple hair rolled down her body, rising and falling with each breath like waves falling gently on a tender, warm beach; her eyelids lay shut peacefully, as though her mind was so comfortably deep in sleep that it could stay there forever; her lips were ever so slightly parted, lying isolated and lonely on her face, just begging to be befriended. Before him lay Kai'Sa, the woman who'd saved his life twice, now.

Twice?

With that thought, Ezreal recalled the night's events. He quickly looked down at his abdomen, relieved to see a makeshift bandage wrapped around him. It was at this point that Ezreal realised that he was lying, half-naked, in bed with Kai'Sa, a thought that brought a slight chuckle to his lips. "Another victim of the signature Lightfeather charm..." he joked, as he slowly pushed himself up.

Scanning the room, Ezreal saw the drab walls of a hide tent, common in the Shuriman desert. He saw his travelling pack sat against the wall, along with a few nondescript bags, each tied up with an elegant but sturdy knot. Finally, he noticed a flap in the wall which he assumed was a door, gently swaying in the warm summer breeze.

Ezreal pushed himself to his feet, buttoning up his jacket for what must have been the first time in years. His eyes fell upon Kai'Sa again as he pondered if he should wake her, eventually deciding that her sleeping form was just too peaceful to disturb; she saved his life, after all, and the least he could do was allow her to rest.

With a few tentative steps, Ezreal made his way to the door, cautiously pushing aside the hide flap and poking his head out into the morning light. Squinting, he put his hand to his brow as he stepped out onto the sand, peering out across the rolling dunes. The landscape was desolate, save for the shimmer of mirages on the horizon, the waves of sand stretching out without end. However, Ezreal noticed a disturbance in the vast orange scene, a tiny dark speck against the golden canvas. 

Blinking, he saw a purple figure stood far away atop a prominent dune. Silently, the figure raised a blazing purple sword at its side, holding it aloft solemnly. In response, Ezreal cautiously raised his arm, tilting his head slightly. The figure must have seen this gesture, as the blade flared red before it dropped its arm and turned away, receding behind the great dune it stood upon.

With more questions than answers, Ezreal lowered his arm, letting out a slow breath and shaking his head. He strolled around the tent, scanning the horizon in all directions for any sign of life, but to no avail. With a sigh, he stepped back into the tent, his eyes falling, once again, upon Kai'Sa. However, he frowned as he saw her roll over, her expression one of pure panic. When a strained mutter escaped her lips, he rushed to her side, dropping to his knees.

"F-father..." she whispered, her whole body shivering despite the heat. Without a thought, Ezreal grabbed her hand, gently squeezing it. With a sharp inhalation, she grasped his hand and screamed, her expression full of fear and confusion.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, I've got you..." Ezreal purred, pulling her into a close hug. He held her tight, gently rocking her back and forth. Eventually, the shivering was replaced by quiet sobbing as she buried her head in his torso. "You're safe now, it's okay, you don't have to be scared anymore..." he whispered, his head falling forward slightly. Without thinking, Ezreal planted his lips on the top of her head, resolving to hold her as long as it would take.

"E-Ezreal?" said Kai'Sa, her voice shaky and fearful.

"I'm here," he replied, hugging her tighter, squeezing her reassuringly. Something between a laugh and a sob escaped her lips as she wrapped her arms around his torso.

"Thank you..."