chapter4

I walked up to Zoe's house and knocked on the door excitement replacing the usual turmoil of emotions in my gut.Zoe answered the door Emma peaking out at her side like a disembodied head both speckled in flour.

"Hey .Your early."

"Hi, guys . sorry," I  replied a little sheepishly.

"It's fine we're just finishing making some cookie batter."

"That explains the flour."Now it was there turn to look sheepish.I burst out laughing and they followed suit .

Emma beckoned me in."Come on get out the doorway already we could use some help the timer doesn't seemed to be working."

I gave them a salute and strode in.

"Where should I put my bag?"

"Oh just leave it by the door."Zoe gestured behind her already following a running and very exuberant Emma.

I put my bag down by the door walking down the green pastel hall to the kitchen.There were pictures of Zoe and her mom and what I could only assume were her grandparents smiling at me from flames.There was one with a fronttoothless Zoe in a bumble bee costume with chocolate cake smeared on her face.

Then I walked into the kitchen or what could only be described as a tornado of pure chaos.There were mixing bowls and ingredients on every counter,chocolate batter smeared everywhere and a layer of flour like dust on everything to top it off.I hoped Zoes mum wasn't home.

"Forget the timer we need to clean up first."

"I'll clean the surfaces ."Emma offered grabbing a dishcloth and grinning.

"I'll wash up ."I declared. starting to run the hot water and chucking in some soap.

The door bell rang and we all turned to it in unison.

"I'll get it."Zoe proclaimed and went to get the door.

"Who do you bet it is?"I asked Emma.

She stopped wiping under a mixing bowl and pondered it for a moment.

"Tilly probably.How about you?"

I scoffed."I don't know but not mirabel for sure."The words died on my lips as she walked into the kitchen making a stern face and putting her hands on her hips.

"Talking about me Devin?"She smirked at me . Before I had time to respond she cut me off.

"I'm sure you were just telling Emma what a wonderfully generous person I am anyway."Emma giggled.I mirrored her stance probably looking ridiculous with the rubber gloves I'd just slipped on.

"no actually I was just telling Emma how uncharacteristic it is for you to arrive at a party ontime because it would ruin your "reputation".Speaking of which why are you here so early."

she gestured to the chaos around us and the cookie batter.

"It looks like the party was way underway by the time I got here, to me."

"Oh yeah we made cookies but the timer doesn't work so we haven't put them in the oven yet."Zoe supplied.

"Why don't you just use a phone."She said waving hers in the air with a judgmental look on her face.

I went to open my mouth but zoe cut across me which was a good thing because I was going to improvise a comeback.

"Your right that's a great idea."

Mirabel gave me a look she knew pissed me off.

"What would you all do without out me."

I rolled my eyes turning back to the sink and switching off the taps .