The Morning After 3 - Moving Day

Notes:

Hi again~ ready for the awkward? xD this one may feel a lil rough >< but from someone who sprung a "btw we got married yesterday!" announcement on her own parents... uh, at least it's from the heart! lol enjoy

____________________

The Haruno family lived in a quaint but older neighborhood in Konoha. A place so charming it had been reconstructed to be exactly as it was before the war. The streets were still narrow, and the houses still made of beautiful, weather-worn Konoha pine. Except for the time she spent on missions, Sakura had lived her whole life in that house with her parents, and the fact that they were moving today was surreal. It wasn't that she was particularly mad, sad, or nostalgic - she'd been ready to live separately from them for a while - but she was nervous. Mostly about their impending reaction to her news, but also because... well, now she'd made her mess and she'd have to lie in it, so to speak. Where would she sleep now that she'd be staying with Kakashi under this strange arrangement? How would things be different?

Kakashi, enjoying once again his newfound license to keep his arm around Sakura as they walked, smiled as he realized how close they had always lived to each other before he had been relocated to the Hokage residence. No wonder it was always Sakura-chan dropping by all those years to berate me for being late, and never either of the boys... Looking back, it was a fond set of memories, though not without a handful of awkward run-ins. But she always forgave him for his indiscretions, and he never made any attempt to increase his privacy. She and Gai were the only ones to ever stop by his apartment anyway. He thought it a bit sad that now there wouldn't be much of a tie to this place anymore. Year after year things kept changing, moving, getting lost to time. Would anything remain the same?

He pulled her closer without really thinking about it, and she looked up at him. "How did you know I was nervous?" she asked, mistaking it as intentional.

He almost said that he was nervous, but decided to deflect with a question. "Have I not known you for years?" He could tell she'd been nervous since she woke up anyway, and admitting he was nervous to meet her parents about a fake marriage was out of the question.

"You have," she agreed softly. This whole charade was starting to eat her up inside the more her brain unfogged. Why does it feel like I'm really about to introduce someone serious to my family? How is he doing that? I'm the one who's supposed to make it appear real... it was my plan, after all. Leave it to Kakashi to turn me into a ball of nerves!

"Did that just make you more nervous?"

"No!" she denied, but obviously it was a yes. They arrived at her doorstep only a few moments later and then there was nothing left to do but knock. Sakura stared at the familiar door but suddenly felt like a stranger before it. For some reason her arms lay paralyzed at her sides.

Kakashi let go of her, ruffled her hair once, and knocked on the door himself.

If she wasn't mistaken, the crinkle of his mask betrayed an incredibly sly expression. Her curiosity gave her a chance to take a deep breath, break free of the frozen feeling, and pull her version of the story to the front of her mind just in time for her mother to open the front door.

"Oh! Hokage-sama! You shouldn't have!" Mebuki cried out in surprise, rushing outside to usher them both in. "You're so kind to always be helping Sakura out."

"Mo-ommm," she groaned. "That's not why he's here. And I told you I'm not going."

"Ahaha, she's such a stubborn one, isn't she?" Mebuki laughed nervously, the mildly shrill sound drawing her husband's attention from the other room.