are you happy?

dead·ly
/ˈdedlē/
adjective
causing or able to cause death.

20 months ago

With three positive pregnancy tests sitting on my bathroom counter, there was no doubt I was pregnant. I couldn't keep living in denial.

This couldn't be happening. Harry left five weeks ago to keep touring, and the tour doesn't end until next year. This was the worst time for me to be pregnant.

"Harry, will you please call me back when you hear this? It's important." I sighed, hanging up the phone and throwing it on the bed.

He's in a completely different state. His show probably just ended, and I will scare the shit out of him when he hears this... Well, maybe I should leave another voicemail clarifying everything is okay before he worries. I would probably think the worst if it was him leaving this voicemail.

I press on his name once again, calling him a second time. "Hi, baby. I was about to call you back. Is everything okay?" He says on the other line.

Holy shit.

"Yes, yes, of course. I was calling back to tell you that everything is okay. I just need to talk to you. It's really urgent."

"What is it?"

"You don't have to come home, and you don't have to worry. I'm fine and safe. I just-"

"Maeve, what happened?" He asked. His voice agitated.

"I'm pregnant."

The words left my mouth quickly. Sick of the anticipation, I sucked in my breath, looking up at the bathroom door and waiting for Harry's response.

The line goes dead.

Present

I was in deep sleep when the next thing I knew, I felt something bouncing on top of us. Rubbing my eyes, I open them slowly, letting them adjust to the light; seeing a small silhouette, I immediately know it's Lana.

"Mama, dada," Lana says, laughing.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked, looking towards the door. Tom rested his back on the doorframe.

"Are you asking her or me?" Tom asked, laughing and pointing at Lana. "She got off her crib, and I found her crawling in the hallway. I could've sworn I saw her walking, and as soon as she saw me, she sat back on the floor. Lying little shit."

"Hey bitch," Harry says, throwing a pillow towards the door. Tom caught it, throwing back at Harry but hitting Lana.

She giggles and turns around, flipping him off. "Bich."

Harry's hand flew to his mouth, trying to silence his laugh.

"Lana, don't do that, and that's a bad word. Who taught her that?" I say, looking in between Tom and Harry.

"Mitch," they both say.

Liars.

Harry is the first one to pick Lana up, wasting no time In laying her down in between us. Covering her eyes as he tells her to go back to sleep.

"No."

"What do you mean no? Go back to sleep."

"No."

Seeing Harry and Lana's interactions, it's like seeing two babies trying to get along. Sometimes I believe Lana is more intelligent than Harry because the moment she gives him those dull green eyes, he'd be on his feet trying to find what's bothering his lovey, but whenever he turns around, I catch Lana giggling. At least we know who the good actor is in this family.