8.

♣ ♣ ♣

I S L A

THE BELL ABOVE the front door chimes when someone enters the café, the cool breeze instantly refreshing the room as the scent of rain on the concrete wavers in the air.

Soon enough, the smell of fresh cookies lingers, aromas of freshly brewed coffee and steaming hot tea awaking a trail of comfort in their wake—a sense of home.

"Cute customers," Whitney teases in a whisper in Isla's ear as the latter has her back turned to the incoming people whilst washing the espresso machine.

When Isla peers behind her shoulder, her heart brutally misses a beat at the sight of Romeo Quinn walking in behind Killian. The pair smiles to girls who also go to Eden U as they march towards the counter, the whole room's attention drawn to them.

Romeo instantly catches Isla's eyes and smiles, a dimple showing off. With his backwards cap, a few strands curl over his ears, his cheeks slightly rosy, eyes glinting with sparks of delight—the aftermath of a good hockey practice.

"Oh," is all she says as she turns around, pretending to scrub an inexistant blotch of coffee atop the machine.

Isla's heart rate has picked up but she tries her hardest to not notice the slight change of rhythm thudding inside her chest.

"What is wrong with you?" Whitney mumbles. "Have you not talked to him since Friday night?"

"Nope."

A pause before an outraged inquire flies past her co-worker's lips. "You didn't give him your number?"

"Nope," she answers yet again with the same unfazed tone.

The remainder of Friday evening is a blur. She remembers walking out of the billiard room with a thudding heart, leaving Romeo standing there with parted lips and hopeful eyes. Whilst she had been playing a round of eight-ball with him, Whitney had arrived. She then met her at the bar and they took shots together.

All she remembers is that Nora brought her back to her dorm.

"I like how you're making him work for it, actually," Whitney mumbles, nudging her with an elbow. "Take his order."

"Winnie," Isla whisper-yells, eyes wide as she looks at her friend. "Don't do this to me."

The red-haired manager raises her hands, lifting her shoulders in a sheepish shrug. "Deal with your own mess, Juliet."

"I hate you," Isla snaps whilst putting her cloth down.

She winks. "You'll thank me on your wedding day." Then she giggles, walking into the back kitchen as the oven bell chimes. "That is if your love story isn't a tragedy as well."

"You're impossible," Isla bites out, fighting the smile threatening to take over the edge of her lips.

Killian leans over the countertop, chin propped upon his tattooed fist as he smiles at Isla. "Hey. So, I was thinking we could study here today since Romeo wanted to grab a pastry before heading home, so you wouldn't have to ride under the rain to come over tonight."