9.

♣ ♣ ♣

R O M E O

     NOBODY MESSES WITH Romeo's boys.

And especially not with the goalie—even if he's Luca Presley.

The very instant the center player from Boston College slams his shoulder into Luca's chest, pushing him into the goal, a roar of outrage bursts in the crowd.

Instant fury seeps through Romeo's veins as he skates towards Braden Peters, Boston College's team captain, throwing his stick somewhere on the ice.

Adrenaline pumps through his being, and he grabs Braden by the back of his jersey before the latter can punch Luca, yanking him backwards and pushing his body on the rink with all the strength he can find.

Braden is most definitely one of the tallest ice hockey player he has played against. Romeo is rather tall himself—six feet two inches, but he isn't as broad as Peters.

The moment Braden falls to the floor whilst glaring at Romeo, one of the defensemen from the rival team sends him into a barrier with such force that his vision blackens for a flickering heartbeat. His bones rattle inside his body, his mind getting sent into overdrive as his breath catches inside his throat.

Said defenseman picks Romeo up by the collar of his jersey, pulling him forward before slamming his back into the glass panel.

"Don't fuck with my captain, you shithead," the guy snarls.

Romeo spits on the ice, cracking his neck before throwing a fist in the guy's jaw. "Don't mess with my goalie, you scumbag."

Everyone knows to never mess with the goalie.

The other guy tries to hit Romeo's nose, but he blocks the flying fist with the palm of his hand. He isn't fast enough, though, because the other hand knocks his jaw, then his lips, bursting them open with the collision.

Romeo sees red—not only because their team captain came for Luca without a valid reason, but also because this idiot of a defenseman has ruined his perfect face.

Romeo strikes back, both hands grabbing the collar of his opponent's jersey, making the latter spin around to slam his back into the panel. His rival tries to destabilise him by holding his upper arms, trying to make him lose balance but Romeo pulls him forward, gritting his teeth before sending him flying to the floor.

Before he can throw himself at the man, wanting nothing but to ram his elbow into his stomach, a referee drags him away, shouting words he can't even hear through the loud buzzing ringing in his ears.

"Calm down!"

Funny to ask this when you've been hit square in the face and whilst your teammates are still fighting with other players from the opposite team.

A loud whistle echoes, and soon enough, the two teams are separated again.

Romeo knows best to not pick an unnecessary fight on the ice, especially when the chaos has ceased. From the corner of his eye, he sees Luca adjust his helmet whilst glaring at Braden.

Having been granted a few seconds to come back to reality, he skates away whilst taking his helmet off, shaking his hair as his chest heaves.