Chapter 3: Rivendell

As it turns out, the "letter opener" that Thorin gave Bilbo was elvish made, much to the dwarf king's dismay, along with Thorin's sword, Orcrist, and Gandalf's sword, Glamdring. But Bilbo's sword was special. Unlike Glamdring and Orcrist, Bilbo's sword had a very unique ability. It glows. Gandalf explained to the hobbit that his sword would glow blue when orcs were nearby, which seemed to make Bilbo think if it was a useful asset or something he should just toss aside.

They were riding on their ponies when there was a sudden disturbance near the treeline of the forest. All of a sudden, a bearded fellow on a sleigh carried by bunnies came rushing out of the tree line. The company quickly went on guard and turned to the potential threat. Gandalf seemed to have recognized the weird fellow and stopped the dwarrow before they did anything rash. He hastily made his way to the fellow, who seemed to be another wizard, and they started talking.

"This wizard seems weird," Kili said as Fili hit him on the head. Bilbo chuckled at the brothers before turning his attention to the two wizards. He noticed the new wizard had rabbits pulling his sleigh, the rabbits seemed to have noticed his presence and seemed to send several nose twitches his way as a sign of respect. Bilbo smiled softly before turning back to the wizards.

It was only a few moments later that they heard a blood-curdling howl pierce through the winds of the forest. They all froze at the sudden howl.

"What was that.." Bilbo asked, afraid of knowing the answer.

"Wargs," Thorin answered.

"Run...RUN!" Gandalf shouted as the rest of the company started riding at top speed with their ponies. Just then, a warg ran out of the forest and into the field where they previously stayed in. It let out a deathly howl as it chased after them.

Kili managed to kill the creature with his arrows before it could manage to even catch up to them, but it was too late. The howl seemed to have been a signal. After a few mere seconds, more wargs came, and they were not alone. Some of the wargs carried orc riders. Kili managed to kill some, but the wargs quickly caught up with the company running right behind Bofur.

A warg leaped over to Bofur with its claws ready to chomp down on the unsuspecting dwarf. Bilbo watched in horror as the warg lunged at Bofur. Hee panicked and accidentally let his magic lose. Just then, a giant tree root appeared to grow out of the ground and smack the warg. The warg's head was sliced open by extreme force. The rest of the wargs and orcs seemed to have halted their assault on the company to stare in confusion and fear at the tree root that seemed to appear out of thin air. The company seemed not to have noticed what had just happened, which Bilbo was happy about. They used this opportunity to run as far as they can from the wargs.

Just then, a horn blew through the air.

Elves. Bilbo thought to himself as he sighed in relief.

The elves of Rivendell had arrived and made quick work of the orcs, though some seemed to have escaped, no matter. Gandalf walked over to the leader of the party of elves and began talking, and after a few moments, Thorin joined the conversation. Bilbo's chest suddenly hurt as he realized the adrenaline he was on ran out. He used too much of his power. His vision darkened, his limbs were limp, and he promptly blacked out.

When he awoke, he was in one of the most comfortable beds he had ever laid on in his life. He groggily got up from the bed and took in his surroundings. He was in quite a big room that seemed to have a balcony.

"Ahh, so you're awake master Baggins." A voice said as bilbo tried sitting up. Bilbo looked up to see an elf with black hair and Grey eyes that seemed to shine like starlight, looking at him.

"Pardon me, but where am I? And where are my companions? Also, thank you for healing me." Bilbo thanked the elf.

"You're welcome master Baggins, and to answer your question, you're in Rivendell, and your companions are currently...bathing in our fountain." The elf responded with a slight shudder.