Chapter Twenty Six | Sealed with a Kiss

Another big thank you to HamnahKhan for the beautiful cover! C:

"Come on Ruby, you know you want the crisps." Imogen waves the bowl of cheesy puffs in front of me as I try to focus on the exam question I'm attempting.

"Nope," I mutter, trying hard to get this paper finished and not get distracted by the snack in front of me (which Imogen knows is my favourite). But, after this question revision will be done for the night. With exams only a week away Imogen and I decided to get together to study in my living room.

She gave up fifteen minutes ago and is now luring me to do the same.

I scrawl an illegible answer before closing the paper and chucking it behind me.

"Finally!" Imogen sighs. I notice she looks a little downcast as she sets down the bowl in front of her. "God, I'm going to flop Geography."

I shake my head fervently and nudge her shoulder with mine. "No you won't, not after how bloody hard you've worked," I assure her. "And don't forget, you're amazing at French and English, you're going to smash those."

Imogen gives a small smile. "Ah, merci mon petit gemme."

She then sprawl herself across the carpet to reach for her bag. "Soooo," she says, "what should we watch? Changing Tatum as a hot stripper or Channing Tatum as a hot undercover student?" she asks pulling out two DVDs.

Laughing, I shrug. "Whatever you want."

Imogen holds 21 Jump Street to her chest. "This one fulfils all my fantasies."

Soon, underneath a heap of blankets, we're nestled into the sofa, ready to do nothing for the rest of the evening.

Just as Imogen finishes skipping past all the opening promos for other films, my phone begins to vibrate, its loud ring tone making the both of us jump. Picking it up, I'm surprised to see 'Luke' flashing up on the screen.

My eyebrows rise in surprise, he never calls. The most conversation I've had with him on my phone involves short text messages that trail off on his behalf.

I tap the green answer button. "Hey?"

"Ruuuuuby!" Luke's voice exclaims at the other end. My mouth curls up in a surprised smile. He's drunk. "Ruuuby," he says again, "listen, you needtopiiiissoff Ed, fuck of mate. I will get you. Sorry about that. Rubes, you need to get here right NOW. It'ss emergency."

I hold the phone away from my ear at how loudly he yells the last word. In the background I can hear the muffled, alarmingly chaotic cacophony of music, uproarious hollering and yelling. It sounds pretty wild.

"I'm not really feeling up to a party mate," I say, shaking my head at Imogen who looks at me questioningly.

'Party?' she mouths. A spark of excitement glints in her eyes, even though she looks as comfortable as me in her pyjamas and blankets.

I shake my head even more vigorously at her as Luke goes, "Nooo," on the other end. "Not like that," he says, "I mean I need YOU." I'm starting to wonder if he's going to end every sentence sounding like a foghorn.

"What?" I ask. His words sound ominously like a booty call.

"It's Levi," Luke says, sounding a little more serious now. "Just get here. Weee are at, lemmejusscheck-" He stops speaking as he leaves the phone to yell around the room to ask whose house he's at so loudly that even Imogen hears.

"Blimey." She looks at me, her face a mixture of amusement and disbelief. "He's wasted."

I don't manage to smile back. When I heard Luke say Levi's name I immediately felt a tug of worry. Ever since he received the phone call a few days ago he's kind of fallen apart. He comes to school looking like he's not slept, his clothes and hair are always crumpled and he looks unendingly exhausted and troubled. Whenever any of us ask what's up he just shrugs it off and carries on with whatever he's doing as though he hadn't heard.