Chapter Five | Sealed with a Kiss

Dedicated to frosted_xx for coming up with Levi and Ruby's ship name 'Ruvi', it had me grinning like an idiot

It's a glorious Sunday, and it might be cloudy, it might be cold, but I've got a good few hours to spend how I want. Which feels like a miracle from the recent workload from school, the essays into globalisation, research tasks surrounding organic compounds and test papers on differentiation have been exhausting.

"So where to first?" Imogen asks as we both walk into Wickworth town.

"The Letterhead," I say, talking about our local, and best, stationary shop. "I need to get some glitter for Evie." Evie is my little sister and at five years old, her request for glitter isn't all too unusual when I told her I was going into town.

Imogen grimaces. She doesn't look too happy at our first destination.

It doesn't take long to get to the central part of Wickworth where all the shops are, to be honest I think this place is better suited being called a village than a town, it's so small. It's not so tiny that everyone recognises each other and we trade pints of milk for cheese, but Wickworth's got a cosy sort of feel. Especially when Christmas is near and the whole area is decorated with lights, more people are inclined to give you a smile and soon you find yourself spotting them by the town's famously beautiful library or some park.

The Letterhead is a stationary shop found behind the ginormous Christmas tree that's been put up in right in the middle of the hub of shops. I remember being small and first seeing Wickworth's Christmas tree.

I still feel the same awe when I take in the ornate baubles, glittering glass snowflakes and iridescent lights. Our tree's an enchanting, wintry mass of silvers, blues and purples.

I let out a breath of foggy air as I grin up at it, my face exactly matching an admiring toddler's sitting in his pram beside me. God, I love Christmas.

Snapping myself out the festive daze, I finally walk into the Letterhead. Imogen stays outside by the Christmas tree and she won't tell me why she won't go in. I personally think it's because of the time she was caught trying to read Fifty Shades of Grey without buying it.

I feel warm relief when I'm greeted with the central heating inside the shop. It's busy and it's probably because there's a whole bunch of stuff on sale on the shelves. It doesn't take me long to find the glitter, I pick the pink kind, the only colour in the universe worth looking at according to Evie, before heading to the till.

Once I see who's serving me, I let out a snort of surprise.

"Rubes!" Oliver looks back at me from the either side of the counter with his usual million-watt grin and, unusually, a pair of reindeer felt antlers on his head.

"Oliver?" I grin, shaking my head. "When the hell did you start working here?" I push the tube of glitter towards him, in shock at the fact that my wayward idiot of a best friend has managed to find a job before me.

"I started yesterday," he says, taking the glitter and scanning it. A mischievous look comes over him when he motions his head to someone beside me. I turn my head slightly round to see a pretty girl with silky dark hair. "Rebecca recommended me to the manager here."

"Rebecca?" I ask, looking unimpressed. 

Oliver grins. "Well Natalie threatened to cut off my balls and her sister promised to sell them on eBay so I don't think there's a chance of any mistletoe action with them this Christmas," he says brightly, shrugging.

I grin, shaking my head, this hasn't been the first time when the safety of Oliver's balls has been compromised.

"Now give me eighty pence," Oliver orders, holding out his hand. I place the coins in his palm before he chucks me the glitter tube.