Chapter Seventeen | Sealed with a Kiss

"So, I've got all the things I usually need when I go through a break-up. A few boxes of Kleenex ultra-soft tissues- they'll be kind to your nose, believe me. Some nice chocolate and 'Ten Things I Hate About You'," Imogen says, sorting through the items in front of her as she lists each one.

Oliver crinkles his nose. "I see 'Avengers Assemble' cheering Rubes up much more than that sappy film," he says, stuffing the last of his pizza into his mouth. Imogen appears downright insulted.

"Sappy?" she cries. "That film is-"

"I don't care what film we watch," I interrupt, my hollow voice dull in comparison to their lively ones. Both of my friends abandon their oncoming argument and stare at me awkwardly. I can tell how strange they find this situation, that for once it's me hung up over a break-up rather than Imogen. And because of that, they don't quite know how to act.

"Sorry," Imogen says, putting down the DVD. She reaches up and squeezes my arm. "Are you alright?" 

For the fourth time within an hour, we're talking about Ryan again. A constant thought has been thrumming through my mind all lunch and, against my better judgement, I voice it. "I think I need to talk to him," I say, sitting up straighter. "I need to smooth things out and-"

"You're not going try and get back together with him, are you?" Imogen asks. I notice the worry that creeps into her voice and I stop myself from rolling my eyes. I think Granddad must have told Imogen to look out for me wanting to reconcile with Ryan ever since I'd told him I wanted to.

"No," I say, and it's true, I have no intention to. At least, now I don't. Over the weekend, after that horrible afternoon, I'd wanted to do all kinds of things. I wanted to go over to Ryan's house and beg for forgiveness, to crawl underneath my duvet and pretend everything's OK and to try and forget everything and just carry on as normal.

I ended up doing the latter, but not very successfully. Me being 'normal' doesn't involve crying and wanting to avoid everybody at school.

"Alright," Imogen says. "I think that's the best thing to do, at least for now."

I nod, wanting to move off the topic of Ryan and mine's break-up in case of any eavesdroppers. Word of us splitting has gotten out, through one way or another, and the general reaction to it's been surprise. I guess everyone thought Ryan and I were smitten. But surprise generates curiosity, and curiosity leads to a whole load of questions I don't want to answer.

"Did I tell you guys about my date with Chastity?" Oliver suddenly says. "To be honest, it wasn't really a date... Rather than the cinema, we spent the evening in my bed."

I get he's trying to lighten the mood but it doesn't stop me from crinkling nose whilst Imogen looks at him, evidently grossed out.

"Given her name, she knew her stuff- and I'm saying she really knew," he continues and Imogen and I both groan. I can't help but laugh, however. The bell rings then, altering us that lunch has ended. We all get up and I feel a rush of affection for my best friend as he leans in to give me a hug.

Oliver squeezes me tightly. "It'll feel better you know," he whispers and I nod, leaning into his shirt and breathing in his familiar smell. 

"Yeah I know," I say as he pulls away, grabbing his bag.

"I'll see you later?" Oliver says as he begins walking to the door of the Sixth Form common room* to his next lesson which I think is Computer Science. "I'll bring Avenger's Assemble to yours tonight," he adds with a wink to Imogen who just glares at him. As much as I love 'Ten Things About You', watching a film about my favourite superheroes seems a bit more fun right now.