Chapter Eight | Sealed with a Kiss

The evening that I've been dreading has arrived. Wickworth High's Sixth Form Christmas Dance. I don't know if it's the bad mood I've been in lately, thanks to a certain someone, or the workload, but I'm looking forward to this about as much as an elf enjoys working in a labour camp.

I huff out another sigh as I smooth the creases in my dress. The evening's literally going to be a few hours of terrible music and cheesy Christmas songs, not to mention awkward slow dancing in the presence of teachers and trying to avoid over-zealous boys and mistletoe, even despite having a boyfriend.

Imogen, on the other hand, doesn't quite see it that way.

"This is going to be so fun!" she cries, tossing her glossy brown hair behind her shoulders as she walks into the room with a certain kind of flourish she's pinned down perfectly. Max and I gape at her silently. She looks bloody beautiful.

For the past ten minutes Max and I have been awkwardly trying to make conversation as Imogen finished off getting ready in her bathroom. Ryan and I decided to meet each other school since he has some last minute work to do while Oliver's yet to arrive, by himself no less.

It really isn't a surprise that Max and Imogen are going together, not when all they've been doing is staring at each other and laughing madly at every little thing the other says. It's actually beginning to bug me, the two idiots just need to be together already so this ridiculous flirting can stop.

Max gets up off the bed, clearing his throat slightly as he does so. "You... uh, look great." By now it's evident that the guy isn't that great with words. Imogen blushes and gives a beaming smile that could've made you assume he just read out a Shakespearean sonnet.

"Thanks." 

I can feel myself rapidly turning into a third wheel again. Sitting at the bed awkwardly, I pray for Oliver to get here soon. I need someone to laugh at Imogen's lovesick antics with.

Her outfit is incredibly different to mine. She looks stunning in an iridescent silver dress while I've gone for a less glitzy deep red number. To be honest, I decided it was my favourite choice mainly because of how festive it makes me feel not to mention the off-shoulder sleeves feel pretty cute to wear.

Frustratingly, when I was buying the dress, the thought of Levi sprung up in my mind. Ever since he's pointed it out I've begun to notice just how many of my possessions are red, from my shampoo down to my favourite pair of Converse and it bugs me how he noticed it before me. The owner of said possessions.

The doorbell finally rings and, hastily, I announce I'll answer it, leaving Imogen and Max up in her room to themselves. Opening the door, I see Oliver standing there, looking dapper in a white shirt, tie and black trousers. He's already taken off his blazer and slung it over his shoulder with one hand as he flashes me a lazy grin with his bright green eyes shining.

"Oliver Fink is here and looking sexy as ever," he declares, strolling into the hallway and kicking the door shut behind him. I pretend to sigh as I let him in, returning the grin he'd greeted me with.

"If you're so sexy, why are you coming alone?" I ask teasingly as we walk into the living room. Oliver gives a dismissive shrug of his shoulders and I know it doesn't bother him one bit.

I raise my eyebrows warningly at him. "You better not be planning to steal anyone's girlfriend."

"Who do you think I am!" Oliver pretends to look appalled before shrugging. "I'm trying to get into Santa's good books this year, Ruby. I don't need a date for a good time," he says, almost seriously. "Besides, it's not really stealing if they come to you is it?" he adds with a devilish smile which is soon met with a swift thwack on his arm.