Chapter 19 **My Father's Trick**

(* You can get audio here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1630885790 *)

"It seems that reports miss out on things, we all know that. This is your chance, tell me now before we get to work."

Wedge crossed his arms after he said that and looked at Jorne, waiting.

Jorne let out a small smile, "I did only protect her for a time, but it has already been months that I have liked your daughter. I knew of our promise and did initially, whole heartedly want to follow it..."

Wedge interrupted him, "But..."

Jorne picked up a queen piece from the chessboard and said, "It isn't just about marriage between us, actually marriage was just something that got in the way. She did what she wanted to do and through that got my attention. She's cheeky and honestly, I'm glad I let her keep her free spirit, as it saved her life. Going through the thought of her dead...Honestly, I was so happy to find her alive and well that was when your promise started to stretch thin. After being with her more, respecting her virtue, I lost her again because of my other wife."

Jorne frowned, remembering, "Taking an army to war, going to war, fixing up the country that was taken, doing my duties...Nothing compares for me or prepared me for her! Nothing! I was always feeling insecure because of her, feeling like I've let her down."

Putting the queen piece down, Jorne finally looked back at his father in law, "Only with her can she show me what my weakness is. It's that, I thought she would rely on me, but she never has. My weakness is that I thought I had to be relied upon. To make a good country, to have the people have their trust in me, I thought I was being relied on completely, having to do everything but...I see that people can be independent, being able to find a bargain, being able to survive to tell of corruption. I just have to be able to listen and make sure that their independence is something to be noted and not taken away from them...And she had been the one to remind me of this, over and over again..."

Letting out a small chuckle, Jorne continued, "She always did things on her own, never depending on me at all and to be honest, that...I love that about her!"

Wedge narrowed his eyes but dropped his hands to his lap.

Jorne took a deep breath and sat straighter, "Upon finding her once again in my brother's residence, I had just been so happy that she hadn't disappeared like she did the time before. And well, it seemed I didn't think into a promise at that stage, just that...I wanted her by my side. I wanted to keep an eye on her because...I was selfish and wanted her there. And to my happy surprise, she had fallen into my arms easily...I don't like being boastful but at that time, I believe she already liked me too. With all our teasing and fights, it seemed the start of our way to connect to each other and now...I don't want to let her go!"

Wedge sighed, staying silent for a full minute, before saying "Unfortunately, time is against us."

Standing up and going to the map of Icklish, Jorne followed after him, understanding now it was time for business.

It only took a quick moment for Jorne to get over his anxiety, on how he had just confessed his love for the other man's daughter, before going back to his usual self. It was getting quite personal with telling his father in law about his daughter now and had already wished for Wedge to stop the conversation earlier...It was finally time to sigh and get back to business...A subject much easier to speak about!

"Let the others come in too." Wedge stated towards the door and as they waited, Wedge pointed to a few places on the map. "This is Vulmoss, where we are now. These two towns here and here, is the fastest way to the capital, then...On this side of the capital holds quite a number of commoners and slaves. These commoners and slaves are our biggest problem."