Chapter 1

ALEX SIGHED AND tried to shift so that the ridges of the blankets she was laying on dug into different body parts. She glared ruefully at Verus's back, angry at not being able to do anything to get him back for her current situation without disobeying him in front of his men, and knowing she'd instigated her current situation through her constant badgering to be allowed off this cart for the previous three days of marching.

        At least she hadn't been left behind, she considered. Verus turned slightly, as if feeling her eyes boring through him, and cocked half a grin at her. She stuck out her tongue at him. Childish? Yes. The only thing she could do at the moment? Yes. He laughed and shook his head at her, facing forward again. His subordinates shifted uncomfortably at his outburst, glancing back at Alex nervously, and then looking forward to the Legion commanders who were stoically ignoring the escalated bickering between their First File and the Lady Avilia.

        This was her sixth day in Verus's care and the fifth day of the march toward Illyria. They'd arrived at some kind of mass gathering point or permanent base for soldiery last night, she and Verus garnering more than a few curious glances with their broken yelling and empty threats, spent a day, and then left again this morning to even more stares when Verus had carried her out to the cart already tied at hands and feet. He'd scowled the entire time he'd been lashing her bonds to the side of the cart, with the fight that had started when he'd produced the rope continuing as soon as he'd set her on the pile of blankets. She had to give him credit, he was fast. When he'd stood back to survey his handiwork, they'd both dissolved into laughter.

        "You are the dick, big brother," she'd told him in her broken Latin once she could talk again. He'd leaned over the side of the cart and kissed her cheek, still chuckling.

        "I love you too, dear one," he said. "Now, today, no fighting. Stay in the cart." He quickly checked all the knots binding her and then covered her with a blanket to protect from the chill air.

        Now, at almost time for the midday meal, she was bored out of her mind. She understood completely that she still carried the injuries from what had happened prior to Ixillius rescuing her, and the time in Bonna hadn't exactly been full of restful healing, but she knew she could walk at least part of the time. She wanted to walk for at least part of the time. Verus had even bought her new wool socks and Legionnaire boots to replace the rabbit skins she'd been using. However, he still wanted her to rest completely during the march. They hadn't yet come to a compromise, and the battle of wills had been getting fairly terrible. She had been doing as he told her to, but she'd argued with him for each and every moment of her grudging obedience.

        Hence he was now tired of arguing with her, and she was now tied to the cart.

        Alex left off glaring for the moment and shifted around again, chuckling. He was taking good care of her, in spite of their fighting (or maybe for that reason specifically, she guessed). Unfortunately, lying down wasn't the most comfortable position. It was better than trying to sit while they were on the move, though. Going through the half-frozen bog earlier in the morning had been a jerking and jarring hell.

        The same cavalryman that had been coming to Verus every couple of hours every day of the march since they'd left Bonna passed the cart again. He looked at Alex, hesitating as if he wanted to say something, then changed his mind and continued on to Verus. Alex noticed he had some new bruising growing on the side of his face. The cavalryman argued quietly with Verus for a few moments, their words too far away and too quick for her to catch more than Max's name. Then the cavalryman turned away to ride back down the line, his look sullen. He paused fully beside the cart, backing his horse to pace with her, chewing his lip, then again decided to say nothing and took off at a canter back to his place in the line.