Chapter 9

IXILLIUS FINISHED SETTING his tent and went on his usual tour through his century for the night. He'd been blissfully free of the nightly visit from Naevius so far, and was enjoying the lack of insults and twisted, mental pummeling intended to make him forsake his bond over the 'daughter of Avilius', and simply strengthening his will to keep her. All afternoon there had been crazy rumors about Alex defecting, or abandoning the Legion, or bringing the locals into a treaty, or in one case spiriting away a stallion and turning him into a man, which she brought back to serve the tastes and humors of the First File. At some point, even a few stories he'd heard when he'd first enlisted came up with a new spin that said the legendary Horseman – supposedly the sword brother of Avilius, but was a man with no name – had resurrected a dead horse and was riding beside Minerva's 1st to keep watch over Alex on behalf of a blood-sworn oath to Avilius. As the men finished setting up the encampment, tight conversations flared the rumors even hotter.

        Brasus joined him about half way through his rounds, returning from the errand Ixillius had sent him on, silently falling in step and participating in the nightly inspection as if he'd been there from the start. Ixillius saw that Quintus Abelardus was still missing, and made a note to question Brasus once they could speak privately as the Optio seemed fully aware of the absent Legionnaire.

        "Our commanders still drag their feet on the promotion for Marcus Lucilius, their recommendation of a younger man with higher birth stalls their decision making," Brasus began his report for his actual errand. "I was able to speak casually to a Tribune, and solidify his fear of impending death waiting in the trees these past days, leaving him with the sense that a man with ten years of service may prove an asset to the command structure should the First File meet a horrible end." Brasus paused and spoke to a few of the men regarding their arrangement, leaving them to the correction as he caught up to his commander again.

        "Did you update the First File?" Ixillius asked.

        "I did, and with the same report I just gave to you. Celsus Calix was most emphatic about ushering his new Optio of choice out of this century and placing him quickly in the 1st and 1st," Brasus paused for a moment in his words, a grin sliding onto his face. "I was left with a strong impression that the First File will personally address the matter."

        Ixillius chuckled at the expense of the senior officers who would be bearing the brunt of the First File's attention to the matter.

        "I imagine that negotiation will be much like turning Max from a mare in heat."

        "A laugh and a joke?" Brasus stopped in the middle of the path, mocking amazement. "Who are you, and where is my Centurion!" he demanded, drawing smirks and further cat-calls from the surrounding Legionnaires who had been living under their Centurion's poor humor these past weeks.

        Ixillius was about to reply when he noticed Naevius weaving through the tents in his direction, on foot this evening. The fool must've finally lamed that stallion, Ixillius thought. Brasus saw the sudden change in his friend and looked back over his shoulder at the walking Centurion, his features going blank the moment he saw Naevius.

        "Finish the rounds," Ixillius ordered his Optio. "I'll square off with him out here in the open air, tonight. At least the weather is pleasant."

        "I'll see what I can find us for dinner." He pressed a hand to Ixillius's shoulder as he passed and continued on the rounds, hearing the two Centurions greet each other behind him and begin the nightly exchange of hate.

                                                                ***

        It was an hour before Ixillius was able to get back to his tent. Brasus arrived a few minutes after, already without armor and washed up, obviously watching for Ixillius to return because he arrived with two plates that were still hot. Brasus helped his friend disarm, and spoke an overly detailed report about the final few tents in the evening rounds while Ixillius got himself cleaned up. They sat shoulder to shoulder on the single sleeping pallet in Ixillius's tent while they ate, chatting about nothing.